|Original author(s)||Donya Labs AB|
|Developer(s)||Simplygon Studios (part of Microsoft)|
Simplygon is 3D computer graphics software for automatic 3D optimization, based on proprietary methods for creating level of detail (LODs) through Polygon mesh reduction and other optimization techniques.
Since the launch of Simplygon, the product has been licensed by a number of AAA game studios, for multi-platform games, and used in areas such as architecture, 3D CAD, 3D scan, 3D web and 3D printing.
The algorithms in Simplygon are designed to also optimize different type of input forms, and a number of visualization projects outside gaming are currently deploying this technology in areas such as architecture, 3D CAD, 3D scan, 3D web and 3D printing.
The Swedish company Donya Labs was founded in 2006 in Linköping. Donya Labs developed Simplygon with the vision to optimize the handling of 3D graphics to allow game developers to focus on making good games. In January 2017, Simplygon was acquired by Microsoft.
Simplygon’s optimization processes are:
A reduction process reduces the amount of data while preserving all relevant original vertex data.
A remeshing process generates a new replacement mesh, often used to replace a group of objects with one so called proxy object.
An aggregation process combines all geometry and materials in a scene into one single object.
An imposter model maps all geometric details as textures and can be used if a model will be viewed from a distance and a certain direction.
- Occlusion mesh
An occlusion mesh process generates a silhouette based geometry that removes internal features and concavities.
Simplygon is available as an API with a 3D format interoperable interface allowing for integration with any open or proprietary format on Windows. The common format FBX is also available. The Simplygon SDK provides the API libraries and development tools that allow customized Simplygon integration.
Simplygon is available as a plug-in for the following digital content creation tools:
Games industry use
Simplygon integration is available for the following game engines:
The Simplygon Desktop application supports FBX, OBJ, STL and the Simplygon native format SSF.
Simplygon Cloud can be used to optimize any 3D model. It is available for non-commercial use. The free version is for personal use and the basic version is available for indie companies.
Simplygon won a 2015 The Independent Games Developers Association TIGA Games industry award in the category “Best Technology Innovation”. Donya Labs was ranked 9th in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50, 2014.
- "Simplygon to Collaborate With Ubisoft To Optimize AAA Game Franchise Development". gamingbolt.com. 24 July 2015.
- "BUNGIE® USING Simplygon™ FOR "Destiny™"". Gamasutra. Stockholm, Sweden: UBM. 21 August 2013.
- "FromSoftware Uses SIMPLYGON in the Creation of PlayStation 4 Exclusive, Bloodborne". Gamasutra. Linköping, Sweden: UBM. 10 August 2015.
- "Simplygon is Big in Japan!". Gamasutra. Linköping, Sweden: UBM. 26 February 2015.
- "SIMPLYGON® Partners with Telltale in the Development of Multiple Critically-Acclaimed Game Series". Gamasutra. Linköping, Sweden: UBM. 13 April 2015.
- "2K uses Symplygon to improve creation of franchise titles". Gamasutra. Linköping, Sweden: UBM. 9 February 2016.
- "Konami uses Simplygon to enhance development of Metal Gear Solid V". develop-online.net. Linköping, Sweden: NewBay Media. 26 November 2015.
- "Microsoft acquires Simplygon, a premier developer of automatic 3D data-optimization solutions". MSPoweruser. 17 January 2017.
- "2015 Winners and Shortlist". tiga.org. TIGA.
- "Fast 50 Rapport 2014" (PDF) (in Swedish). Deloitte. 11 November 2014.
- Feltham, Jamie (15 July 2016). "Simplygon Might Be One of the Most Important Companies in VR's Future, Here's Why". uploadvr.com. UploadVR.
- Leijonhufvud, Jonas (12 April 2016). "VR-pionjär hjälper bilmärken att bli som Tesla" [VR pioneer helps brands to become like Tesla]. digital.di.se (in Swedish). DiGITAL.
- Freeman, Will (29 May 2015). "Interview: Simplygon's new CEO". develop-online.net. NewBay Media.
- Durbin, Joe (16 August 2016). "Upload And Make School Graduate Their First Class Of VR Developers". uploadvr.com. UploadVR.