|S. P. Mukherjee|
16 June 1939|
Kidderpore, Kolkata, India
Presidency College, Calcutta|
University of Calcutta
|Known for||Reliability analysis|
Prof P. V. Sukhatme Award for Senior Statisticians|
P. C. Mahalanobis Birth Centenary Award
|Institutions||University of Calcutta|
|Doctoral advisor||Purnendu Kumar Bose|
Shyamaprasad Mukherjee, FNASc, known as S. P. Mukherjee (born 16 June 1939), is an Indian statistician and the former Centenary Professor of Statistics at the University of Calcutta. He is currently a visiting professor at University of Calcutta after retiring formally as the Centenary Professor of Statistics in 2004.
Early life and education
He was born in Kidderpore, Kolkata, India. In 1954 he appeared in his school final (10th grade) examination and was ranked second in the state of West Bengal. He received an M.Sc. in Statistics in 1960 and Ph.D. in Statistics in 1967 from University of Calcutta. After a short stint of teaching in the Presidency College, Calcutta, he joined the University of Calcutta as a lecturer in Statistics in 1964.
Prof Mukherjee has done extensive research work in Applied Probability, Parametric and Bayesian Estimation, Reliability Analysis, Quality Management, and Operations Research; published more than sixty research papers and review and expository articles; and supervised twenty one Ph. D. students. He was the President of the Operational Research Society of India as well as of the Association of Asian-Pacific Operational Research Societies (APORS). He was also a Vice-President of the International Federation of Operational Research Societies (IFORS). He has been the President of the Calcutta Statistical Association. He has served as the Chairman of the Committee on Statistical Methods for Quality and Reliability of the Bureau of Indian Standards. He is the president of the Indian Association for Productivity, Quality and Reliability (IAPQR) as well as the editor of IAPQR Transactions and is associated with the editorial work of several other journals.
Areas of research contributions
Awards and medals
- "Prestigious Chairs". Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Department of Statistics, University of Calcutta". Stat.caluniv.in. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "PM presents awards to 21 scientists". The Hindu. 4 January 2000. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Welcome to APORS". Apors.ms.unimelb.edu.au. Archived from the original on 17 March 2012. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Calcutta Statistical Association". Calcuttastatisticalassociation.org. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "IAPQR, Indian Association for Productivity Quality & Reliability". Iapqr.org. Archived from the original on 17 June 2004. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- Graduate Employment and Higher Education in West Bengal
- Frontiers in Probability and Statistics
- "Press Information Bureau English Releases". Pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- "Statistics Day 2012 celebrated". Retrieved 1 March 2016.