|Owned by||Commedia Sheffield|
Local TV Macro Network:|
0.01% (September 2015 , BARB)
|Slogan||Made in Sheffield, Made by You|
|Broadcast area||South Yorkshire & North Derbyshire|
|Headquarters||The Television Centre, 15 Paternoster Row, Sheffield|
|Virgin Media||Channel 159|
SheffieldLive!, also known as SheffieldLive! 93.2FM, is a community radio and TV station established in 2003 as an independent company by the Community Media Association and is based in the city centre of Sheffield, England.
Station owner Commedia Sheffield first applied for a Community Broadcasting Licence in November 2004 before a local UK television station 10 years later in order to bring original and modern programming to Sheffield soon after the introduction of the Community Broadcasting Licence by Ofcom in the UK (not to be confused with Independent Local Radio which is a commercial radio broadcast service).
The service started broadcasting on the frequency 93.2 FM on 29 October 2007 with the studio based at 6 Paternoster Row, Sheffield in the former National Centre for Popular Music. Prior to this, the last time a new radio service launched in Sheffield was Hallam FM in October 1974. The station was launched to provide original programming by local people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities and was originally planned to broadcast for a minimum term of five years dependent on its success in the community.
Full-time over the air broadcasting started at 7 am with The Breakfast Show presented by Lloyd Samuels, featuring interviews with Nick Clegg MP, local choral group Sosa Xa! and organisers of the three-day Dignity Not Detention march from Sheffield to Doncaster that took place on the same weekend.
The station currently broadcasts from studios located at 15 Paternoster Row in central Sheffield above the Showroom Cinema accommodated in offices and training suites owned by Commedia Sheffield.
Projects and activities
SheffieldLive! has been involved with many projects in the local community:
- SheffieldLive! helps organise events throughout the Sheffield area; for example, it has worked in partnership with Biggafish, a youth organisation based in London devoted to the education of young people through music.
- SheffieldLive! creates education, employment and training opportunities in the local area. For example, in 2009 the station ran a media training course, called "future:proof", designed to give unemployed adults the skills they need to succeed in a career in media.
- SheffieldLive! advertises and promotes local businesses, organisations and events for a low price. It also actively promotes itself, through its social networking sites and promotional days.
In 2009, the station relocated from the Hallam University owned buildings to a private office across the road at The Workstation above the Showroom Cinema.
Sheffield Live! began broadcasting on Tuesday 23 September 2014 at 6 pm and broadcasts every night from 6 pm to 1 am.
Sheffield Live!'s television output includes Sheffield Live! News, Sheffield Live! Mix, Talking Sheffield, What's On, Walks Around Britain, Grassroots, Sharks Basketball, Sateen Daqiqi be al Arabi, Nice Out Innit?, The Bassment, After the Bell, Sabrang, Da Beat Down, Up North and The Who What Where Show..
Radio Scheduled programmes
SheffieldLive! has a host of local Radio programmes which include:
SheffieldLive!'s flagship local issues programme Communities Live broadcast weekdays 12 pm.
The programme is produced and presented by different groups of volunteers each day, contents of the show include local and national politics, music, arts, and community events from Sheffield. The programme also encourages listeners to contact the show with ideas.
Spirit of the Wapentake
Spirit of the Wapentake is a rock music show, broadcast live on Wednesday from 5 pm. The programme plays rock music from the past 40 years, it also includes news and local rock gigs information.
The Local Talent Show
The Local Talent Show broadcast every Friday from 4 pm, features up artists, and bands from Sheffield and local area, featuring a variety of music, interviews and acoustic performances.
Vancouver Manoeuver presented by Lee Price features music from the West Coast of Canada.
The Live Science Radio Show
The Live Science Radio Show is broadcast on Saturdays at 11 am. Features science news, guests, information on local science events and discussions regarding various areas of science.
- http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/radio/community/archive/sheffieldlive.pdf, Application to Ofcom for Community Broadcast Licence
- "Sheffield Live! 93.2FM makes an impact in just twelve months". GondwanaSound. Archived from the original on 7 January 2014. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Training". Sheffield Live!. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- Who What Where Show
- "Who What Where show launches with Kyle Walker special". Sheffield Live! Made in Sheffield. Made by You. Retrieved 2017-11-24.