|Course||Main course or snack|
|Place of origin||Indonesia|
|Region or state||Java|
|Serving temperature||Room temperature|
|Main ingredients||Grated coconut spiced and sauteed and sprinkled upon another dishes, such as fried beef, soto or ketan (sticky rice)|
Grated coconut flesh formed the essential part of serundeng. Freshly shredded coconut, instead of grated coconut left over from making coconut milk, gives a richer taste. The coconut flesh should be young coconut but has firm texture, and grated to create a long bits. To make a serundeng, spices and seasonings like onions, chili peppers, garlic, onion, coriander, turmeric, sugar, tamarind, bay leaves (daun salam), lime leaves (daun jeruk purut), and galangal are ground to a paste and fried. Then, grated coconut is sauteed (fried with minimal or without oil) until golden brown, and mixed with the seasoning paste. Roasted peanuts might be added for additional crunchy texture and taste.
In Indonesia, beef serundeng usually tastes rather sweet because of the generous addition of coconut sugar, and it is commonly associated with Javanese cuisine. Serundeng fried coconut flakes as sprinkled dry condiment is also found in Betawi cuisine of Jakarta, and Makassar cuisine of South Sulawesi, usually applied upon soto, ketan, or burasa (rice in banana leaf cooked in coconut milk).
In Malaysia, the term serunding refers to meat floss instead, it can be mixed with grated coconut or not. While in Indonesia, meat floss is called abon, and serundeng is clearly referred to spiced and sauteed grated coconut.
- Jun (March 7, 2011). "Fragrant Coconut Flakes, Serundeng". indochinekitchen. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- Safira, Maya. "Ini Caranya Bikin Serundeng Garing Gurih Pelengkap Ketupat". detikfood (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- F.M. Wiedenhoff. "Serundeng - fried coconut with peanuts". Kokkie Blanda. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- "Resep Serundeng Daging Sapi - Bikin yang Beda, Lebih Nikmat dan Bergizi, Wajib Dicoba! - TribunStyle.com". TribunStyle.com (in Indonesian). 2017-12-15. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- Inc., Tastemade,. "Ketan Serundeng ~ Resep". Tastemade (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2018-06-11.