Scott Barlow (baseball)
Barlow with the Omaha Storm Chasers in 2018
|Kansas City Royals – No. 58|
Born: December 18, 1992|
New London, Connecticut
|April 30, 2018, for the Kansas City Royals|
|MLB statistics |
(through June 6, 2018)
|Earned run average||3.95|
Originally from Connecticut, Barlow's family moved to California his freshman year of high school, so he could play baseball year-round and have more exposure to professional scouts. He attended Golden Valley High School in Santa Clarita, California. The Los Angeles Dodgers selected Barlow in the sixth round of the 2011 MLB draft. He signed with the Dodgers, rather than attend Fresno State.
After signing, Barlow made his professional debut that same year with the AZL Dodgers, giving up five earned runs in 1.2 innings pitched for the season. In 2012, he underwent Tommy John surgery and missed the whole season. He returned in 2013, pitching for the Ogden Raptors, compiling a 4-3 record and 6.20 ERA in 15 starts. In 2014, he played for the Great Lakes Loons where he was 6-7 with a 4.50 ERA in 23 games (21 starts) and in 2015 he pitched with the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes where he was 8-3 with a 2.52 ERA in 14 games (13 starts). He also pitched one game each with Great Lakes and the Oklahoma City Dodgers. Barlow spent 2016 with the Tulsa Drillers where he posted a 4-7 record with a 3.98 ERA and 1.42 WHIP in 24 games (23 starts), and 2017 with Tulsa and Oklahoma City where he compiled a combined 7-6 record and 3.29 ERA in 26 starts.
Barlow became a free agent after the 2017 season, and signed a major league contract with the Royals. He began 2018 with the Omaha Storm Chasers.
The Royals promoted Barlow to the major leagues three times in April 2018; the first two times, he was sent back to Triple-A without making an appearance. Following his third call-up on April 28, Barlow made his MLB debut on April 30, pitching in relief against the Boston Red Sox.
- Posner, Ryan (December 9, 2017). "Golden Valley baseball alum Scott Barlow nearing first shot at big leagues". The Signal. Santa Clarita, California. Retrieved April 30, 2018.
- Jones, Connie (August 9, 2011). "Golden Valley Grad Scott Barlow Signs With Dodgers — Hometown Station | KHTS AM 1220". Hometownstation.com. Retrieved 2017-12-08.
- "Scott Barlow Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- Torres, Maria (December 7, 2017). "KC Royals sign ex-LA Dodgers pitcher Scott Barlow | The Kansas City Star". Kansascity.com. Retrieved 2017-12-08.
- Torres, Maria (February 17, 2018). "A potential Royals starter spent his offseason throwing at a bale of hay | The Kansas City Star". Kansascity.com.
- "Kansas City Royals Transactions - April 2018". MLB.com. Retrieved April 30, 2018.
- "Royals vs. Red Sox". ESPN. April 30, 2018. Retrieved April 30, 2018.