Santorini (Thira) International Airport
|Santorini International Airport|
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Σαντορίνης
|Operator||Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture|
|Elevation AMSL||127 ft / 39 m|
|Coordinates||36°23′57.01″N 25°28′45.60″E / 36.3991694°N 25.4793333°ECoordinates: 36°23′57.01″N 25°28′45.60″E / 36.3991694°N 25.4793333°E|
Location of airport in Greece
Santorini (Thira) International Airport is an airport in Santorini/Thira, Greece (IATA: JTR, ICAO: LGSR), located north of the village of Kamari. The airport serves both as a military and as a civil airport. With its relatively small apron, as of 2018 the airport is only able to serve up to 6 civilian planes at the same time. Santorini is one of the few Cyclades Islands with a major airport. The tower (freq. 118.05) also serves as the approach / departure frequency.
The airport is located about 6 km southeast of the centre of the city of Thira. The main asphalt runway (16L-34R) is 6972 feet/2125m in length. The parallel taxiway was built to runway specification and is labeled 16R-34L. The airfield can accommodate medium sized jets like the Boeing 757, Boeing 737, Airbus 320 series, Avro RJ, Fokker 70, and ATR 72. Scheduled airlines include Ryanair, Olympic Air and Aegean Airlines, with seasonal scheduled and charter flights from other airlines during the higher seasons in spring, summer and fall. Transportation to and from the air terminal is through buses, taxis, hotel car-pickups and rental cars.
In December 2015 the privatisation of Santorini (Thira) International Airport and 13 other regional airports of Greece was finalised with the signing of the agreement between the Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture and the state privatisation fund. "We signed the deal today," the head of Greece's privatisation agency HRADF, Stergios Pitsiorlas, told Reuters. According to the agreement, the joint venture will operate the 14 airports (including Santorini (Thira) International Airport) for 40 years as of 11 April 2017.
Future of the airport
- Expanding and remodelling the current terminal
- 236% increase in total terminal space at 15,640 m2, by replacing part of the current terminal and constructing a new terminal
- 113% increase in the number of check-in counters (from 8 to 17)
- Doubling the number of security-check lanes (from 1 to 2)
- 20% increase in the number of departure gates (from 5 to 6)
- 250% increase in the number of security-check lanes (from 2 to 7)
- Improving lighting, marking of airside areas
- Upgrading sanitary facilities
- Enhancing services and offering new free Internet connection (WiFi)
- Implementing works to improve fire safety in all the areas of the airports
- New fire station
- Reorganizing the airport apron area
Airlines and destinations
- Jeppesen aerodrome charts
- "SANTORINI AIRPORT". jtr-airport.gr. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- "Santorini Airport History". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Greece signs privatization of 14 regional airports with Germany's Fraport - TornosNews.gr". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Editorial, Reuters. "REFILE-UPDATE 1-Greece signs major privatisation deal with Germany's Fraport". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Fraport Greece’s Development Plan for the New Era at the Greek Regional Airports", fraport-greece.com
- "Santorini Airport - Fraport".
- [www.kathimerini.gr/959093/article/oikonomia/epixeirhseis/h-fraport-allazei-rizika-ta-14-aerodromia "Η Fraport αλλάζει ριζικά τα 14 αεροδρόμια"] Check
- Liu, Jim (23 January 2018). "Aegean Airlines expands Israel network in S18". Routesonline. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Condor Adds New Greek Routes in S17". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Eurowings S17 planned new routes as of 01SEP16". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Laudamotion outlines summer 2018 operations". routesonline.com. 16 March 2018.
- Lufthansa begin new seasonal service to Santorini in 2018
- "Flight Timetable". tui.co.uk. 5 November 2017. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Volotea S17 New routes as of 10OCT16". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "SANTORINI AIRPORT", ypa.gr
- "SANTORINI AIRPORT (JTR) Air Traffic statistics", jtr-airport.gr
- "Air Traffic statistics" (PDF). : HCAA & FRG Traffic Data Management. https://www.jtr-airport.gr. Retrieved 7 January 2018. External link in