Saint Spyridon Church, Trieste
|Saint Spyridon Church, Trieste|
Црква светог Спиридона|
Crkva svetog Spiridona
Chiesa di San Spiridione
Saint Spyridon Church
|Archdiocese||Serbian Orthodox Eparchy of Austria and Switzerland|
The Orthodox community in Trieste was established in 1748 but it wasn't until 1751 when Empress Maria Theresa allowed free practice of religion for Orthodox Christians, this prompted immigration of Serbian traders from Herceg Novi, Trebinje and Sarajevo to Trieste. In 1781, the community split into two. The first was Greek community and second, from which there is today's Serbian parish, was the community which embraced the Orthodox South Slavic nations. From 1994 up to administrative changes within the dioceses of the Serbian Orthodox Church, the parish in Trieste fell within the Metropolitanate of Zagreb and Ljubljana. Since 2011, it is under the jurisdiction of the Serbian Orthodox Eparchy of Austria and Switzerland.
Emilio Bisi produced sculptures for the facade.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Serbian Orthodox church in Trieste.|