Saint James School of Medicine
|Established||1999 [Bonaire (1999-2015) that moved to Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (2014), and Anguilla Campus (2010)]|
|President||Kallol Guha, PhD, DSc|
Dean of Basic Sciences - Anguilla
Dean of Administration - Anguilla
Jose Ramirez S., MD
Park Ridge, Illinois
Basic Science Campuses:
The Quarter, Anguilla, British Overseas Territories18°12′46″N 63°02′30″W / 18.21278°N 63.04167°W
Cane Hall, St. Vincent, St. Vincent & the Grenadines
Saint James School of Medicine (SJSM) is a private, international medical school with two basic science campuses, one in British Overseas Territory of Anguilla, and the other in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, it is considered one school with two campuses. Saint James confers upon its graduates the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree.
Saint James School of Medicine was originally established in Bonaire in 1999 and began instruction in 2000. In 2010, Saint James opened a second campus in Anguilla. In 2014, the School opened a third Caribbean medical school campus in St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and began merging the Bonaire campus into the Saint Vincent and the Grenadines campus on the main island of Saint Vincent. At the conclusion of the Fall 2015 semester, Saint James Bonaire campus lost accreditation and was forced to move operations, students, and faculty to the St. Vincent and the Grenadines campus.
The MD program at Saint James is a 10 semester course of study that consists of three semesters per calendar year, each semester lasting four months. Semesters 1-5 are basic sciences completed at one of the school's two Caribbean campuses (Anguilla and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines). Semester 5 (Advanced Introduction to Clinical Medicine) was completed at Jackson Park Hospital in Chicago, Illinois, but the location of completion of this semester has since been changed. Starting in September 2017, semester 5 will be completed in one of the two school campuses in either Saint Vincent or Anguilla. After completion, students are expected to complete the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) Step 1, for which the school offers a pass guarantee In addition, the school has begun offering extended programs for students in the Basic Science program, offering the normal 5 semester Basic Science program, as well as a 6 and 7 semester Basic Science program.
The Clinical Science portion consists of semesters 6-10 that involve 96 weeks of clinical study that are completed at affiliated hospitals and clinical facilities in the United States. The website lists the following hospitals that it is affiliated with:
- Jackson Park Hospital (Chicago, IL)
- Mercy Hospital and Medical Center (Chicago, IL)
- West Suburban/Westlake Hospital (Oak Park, IL)
- Sentara Healthcare (Norfolk, Williamsburg and Virginia Beach, VA)
- Metro South Medical Center (Blue Island, IL)
- Genesys Regional Medical Center (Grand Blanc, MI)
- John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County (Chicago, IL)
- Raleigh General Hospital (Beckley, WV)
- Appalachian Regional Hospital (Beckley, WV)
- Pikeville Medical Center (Pikeville, KY)
- Appalachian Regional Healthcare (Hazard, KY)
- EvergreenHealth (Seattle, WA)
- Mercy Hospital NWA Communities (Rogers, AR)
- Delta Regional Medical Center (Greenville, MS)
- Brentwood Hospital (Shreveport, LA)
- Griffin Memorial Hospital (Norman, OK)
Both of Saint James School of Medicine's campuses are listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools (WDMS). Graduates of Saint James are eligible for the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) and ECFMG Certification, as well as the Canadian Medical Licensing Exams (Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination).
In September 2009, the Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and other Health Professions (CAAM-HP) granted St. James' Anguilla campus initial accreditation as a developing school. In July 2015, CAAM-HP extended Saint James' Anguilla campus' initial provisional accreditation with probation for one year, until 2016. The Anguilla campus' CAAM-HP initial provisional accreditation with probation was extended for one year in July 2016. As of March 19, 2018, the CAAM-HP accreditation of Saint James School of Medicine is Pending.
The St. Vincent campus is registered with the National Accreditation Board (NAB) of the Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines. And is operating under a provisional accreditation from CAAM-HP. The campus was recently assessed for certification and is waiting on results.
- "Affordable Carribean med school in Bonaire". Bonaire.sjsm.org. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- "IMED - FAIMER International Medical Education Directory - School Details". Imed.faimer.org. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- "Saint James Medical School Officially Opened". The Anguillian. Archived from the original on 9 January 2015.
- Saint James Bonaire campus moving to St. Vincent. Retrieved on October 29, 2016
- "USMLE Step 1 Guarantee | Saint James School of Medicine". Saint James School of Medicine. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- "Saint James School of Medicine's top MD Program". Bonaire.sjsm.org. 2014-01-07. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- "Clinical Sciences & Clinical Rotations | Saint James School of Medicine". Saint James School of Medicine. Retrieved 2017-12-24.
- WDMS Saint James School of Medicine St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Retrieved on October 29, 2016
- WDMS Saint James School of Medicine Anguilla. October 29, 2016
- ECFMG Requirements for Certification. Retrieved on October on 29, 2016
- CAAM-HP Assessed Programs. Retrieved on October 29, 2016
- Saint James Accreditation. Retrieved on October 29, 2016
- "Financial Assistance for Medical Students | St. James School of Medicine". Saint James School of Medicine. Retrieved 2017-12-24.