Ryan Day (American football)
|Ohio State Buckeyes|
|Position:||Acting Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator|
March 12, 1979|
Manchester, New Hampshire
|High school:||Manchester (NH) Central|
Ryan Day (born March 12, 1979) is an American football coach and former college player. He played quarterback for the New Hampshire Wildcats from 1998 to 2001 before he began his coaching career in 2002. He was the offensive coordinator for Temple in 2012, as well as the offensive coordinator for Boston College from 2013 to 2014. He was hired as the Philadelphia Eagles' quarterbacks coach on January 22, 2015. However, in 2016, after being relieved of his duties in Philadelphia, he was hired in the same role by his mentor Chip Kelly, who became the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers. On January 3, 2017, Day was hired to replace co-offensive coordinator Tim Beck of the Ohio State Buckeyes. After being linked to the Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator position in January of 2018, Day was promoted to offensive coordinator and primary playcaller at Ohio State. On August 1, 2018, he was named interim head coach at Ohio State when head coach Urban Meyer was placed on administrative leave after alleged domestic violence incidents against then fired assistant coach Zach Smith were made public.
Day attended Manchester Central High School in Manchester, New Hampshire. A quarterback and defensive back, he was the state's Gatorade Player of the Year for his senior season. Day attended the University New Hampshire. Playing for then-offensive coordinator Chip Kelly, Day set four career records at UNH, including completion percentage and touchdowns.
Coach Day has worked for the following head coaches as an assistant/positional coach:
- Sean McDonnell: New Hampshire (2002)
- Tom O'Brien: Boston College (2003-2004)
- Al Golden: Temple (2006)
- Jeff Jagodzinski: Boston College (2007-2008)
- Frank Spaziani: Boston College (2009-2011)
- Steve Addazio: Temple (2012), Boston College (2013-2014)
- Chip Kelly: Philadelphia Eagles (2015), San Francisco 49ers (2016)
- Urban Meyer: Florida (2005), Ohio State (2017-present)
- Shorr-Parks, Eliot (January 22, 2015). "Eagles hire Boston College offensive coordinator Ryan Day as quarterback coach". nj.com. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- Harrish, Kevin (August 1, 2018). "Ryan Day Tabbed Interim Head Coach During Urban Meyer's Paid Administrative Leave". Eleven Warriors. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- Coppola, Frank (August 26, 2001). "There is little doubt about Ryan Day's role at UNH". Seacoastonline.com. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
- Shorr-Parks, Eliot (January 23, 2015). "Here is what you need to know about Eagles' new quarterbacks coach Ryan Day". NJ.com. Retrieved February 1, 2015.