3 April 1988|
Camden, London, England
|Education||Richmond upon Thames College (2006, BTEC ND)|
Ruby Bentall (born 3 April 1988) is an English actress, known for playing Minnie in Lark Rise to Candleford, Mary Bennet in Lost in Austen, and Verity Poldark in the 2015 BBC adaptation of Winston Graham's Poldark novels.
Bentall was born at home in Camden, London. She is the daughter of actors Janine Duvitski and Paul Bentall. The family moved to Petersham outside Richmond when Bentall was eight. She attended Grey Court School and went to Richmond upon Thames College between 2004 and 2006, graduating with a BTEC National Diploma in Performance.
Bentall's first professional acting job was an episode of Holby City, which she filmed in 2006 while still at Richmond College. Her other television credits include You Can Choose Your Friends, Doctors, Oliver Twist and New Tricks. She played Mary Bennet in the 2008 mini-series Lost in Austen, a performance described as "by far the most interesting interpretation of the sanctimonious middle Bennet daughter of Pride and Prejudice yet". In 2009 she joined the regular cast of Lark Rise to Candleford, playing Minnie.
She played Alice in Alice, an adaptation of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, written by Laura Wade, at the Sheffield Crucible in June 2010. More recently she played Anya in Remembrance Day at the Royal Court Theatre in March - April 2011 and the role of Victoria in the Mike Leigh directed play Grief at the Royal National Theatre in London.
On 30 March 2014, it was announced that Bentall would be playing Ross Poldark's cousin Verity in the new BBC One version of Poldark, broadcast in 2015. Bentall made a guest appearance in Holby City in July 2018.
|2006||Holby City||Robyn Dent||1 episode|
|2007||You Can Choose Your Friends||Phoebe Snell|
|Doctors||Poppy Foster||1 episode|
|Oliver Twist||Charlotte||1 episode|
|2008||New Tricks||Heidi||1 episode|
|Lost in Austen||Mary Bennet||4 episodes|
|2009||The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler||Stefania|
|The Bill||Kim Patterson||2 episodes|
|2009–2011||Lark Rise to Candleford||Minnie Mude||Series regular|
|2012||The Paradise||Pauline||Series 1 regular|
|2015||Jekyll and Hyde||Hilary "Hils" Barnstaple||10 episodes|
|2018||Holby City||Cassie Lincombe||Episode: "Two for Joy"|
|2009||The Alchemistic Suitcase||Girl||Short film|
|2010||Robin Hood||Margaret Walter's Maid||Feature film|
- TORMENTED | Official Movie Blog | Emily (Ruby Bentall) Retrieved on 18 July 2009.
- "Performing Arts Profile: Ruby Bentall" (PDF). Richmond upon Thames College. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 October 2011. Retrieved 18 July 2009.
- Law, Cally (19 June 2005). "One foot in two worlds". The Times. Retrieved 18 July 2009.
- Jane Austen Today: Ruby Bentall - A Most Memorable Mary Bennet Retrieved on 18 July 2009.
- Singh, Anita (2 January 2009). "Lark Rise to Candleford returns with lesson for coping with the recession". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 18 July 2009.
- "Eleanor Tomlinson to star as Demelza in BBC One drama Poldark". BBC Media Centre. 30 March 2014. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "BBC One – Holby City, Series 20, Two for Joy – Credits". BBC Online. Retrieved 25 July 2018.