|United States Ambassador to Belgium|
Assumed office |
July 4, 2018
|Preceded by||Denise Bauer|
|Born||Ronald J. Gidwitz|
|Residence||Chicago, Illinois, U.S.|
Gidwitz served as President and CEO of Helene Curtis Industries before it was sold to Unilever in 1996. Since 1998, he has been a co-founder and partner at the private equity firm, GCG Partners, and serves as a regional chairman for Business Executives for National Security in Chicago. Since 2013, Gidwitz has served as Chairman emeritus of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
Gidwitz was a candidate for the Republican nomination for Governor of Illinois in the 2006 election. He came in fourth place, having been defeated by Judy Baar Topinka. Rod Blagojevich would go on to win the general election. Gidwitz spent $5 million of his own funds on the campaign.
Gidwitz served as finance chair for Bruce Rauner's successful 2014 bid for governor, later serving as Donald Trump's Illinois campaign finance chairman in the 2016 presidential election. In May 2018, he was nominated to become the Trump administration's Ambassador to Belgium. He was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on June 28, 2018. He presented his credentials to King Philippe on July 4, 2018.
Gidwitz is a graduate of Brown University, holding a bachelor's degree in economics. He lives in Chicago with his wife, Christina, and two sons. He is the son of prominent Chicago businessman, Gerald Gidwitz.
- New York Times. "Gerald Gidwitz, 99, Helene Curtis Founder, Dies". Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- U.S. Embassy in Belgium. "U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Belgium Ronald J. Gidwitz". Retrieved July 7, 2018.
- The White House. "President Donald J. Trump Announces Intent to Nominate Personnel to Key Administration Posts". Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- Chicago Tribune. "Trump nominates his Illinois campaign finance chair as ambassador to Belgium". Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- Bloomberg. "Ronald "Ron" Gidwitz". Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- OurCampaigns.com. "Gidwitz, Ronald". Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- Illinois State Board of Election. "Election Results". Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- Chicago Sun Times. "Trump nominates Chicago businessman Ron Gidwitz as ambassador to Belgium". Retrieved May 22, 2018.
- U.S. Congress. "PN2027 — Ronald Gidwitz — Department of State". Retrieved July 7, 2018.
| United States Ambassador to Belgium