Theatrical release poster
|Produced by||Group 10|
|Story by||Sudip Kumar|
|Edited by||Babu Ratnam|
|Distributed by||Maxlab Release|
Rasam (English: Taste) is a 2015 Malayalam-language Indian feature film based on food, tastes, restaurants and catering services. The film was directed and co-written by Rajeev Nath. Nedumudi Venu, Rajeev Nath and Sudip Kumar co-written the screenplay of the story written by Sudip. It stars Indrajith Sukumaran in lead alongside Nedumudi Venu, Devan and Varuna Shetty in supporting roles. Mohanlal had cameo appearance as himself.
The principal photography commenced on 8 January 2014 at Doha. Filming underway at the locations in Doha, Dubai, Qatar, Kochi, Ottapalam and Thiruvananthapuram. Rasam released on 23 January 2015 and failed to impress the critics.
The film takes place in Doha where Shekar Menon, a business tycoon arranges his daughter's wedding to be done in a traditional Kerala style feast. Superstar Mohanlal invites Valliyottu thirumeni to take up the catering for the wedding reception of the star's close friend Shekar Menon's daughter Janaki. Vasudevan, Balu and team fly to Doha. But circumstances force Balu to take over from his father. As the name suggests, food forms the central character in the film.
- Indrajith Sukumaran as Bala Shankar
- Varuna Shetty as Janaki, Menon's daughter
- Nedumudi Venu as Valliyottu Thirumeni
- Mohanlal as Himself (cameo)
- Devan as Shekar Menon
- Jagadish as Abdhu
- Nandhu as Govindan Nair
- Mythili as Shahida
- Ambika Mohan as Mrs. Thirumeni
- Rajesh Rajan as Job
- Dileep Shankar
- Albert Alex as Josemon
- Satheesh Menon as Family Doctor
- Nihal Pillai as Manu
- Bindu K Menon as Mrs Menon
Mohanlal was signed in a cameo role as himself. In the film, he appeared as the friend of a leading businessman in Dubai. "Mohanlal has a pivotal role in Rasam as he is the one who mentors Indrajith in his work at the wedding in Dubai", says Rajeev. Indrajith plays Balu, a Namboothiri cook who runs a restaurant in Kerala. Balu is a B. Tech and MBA degree holder. He follows his father, a popular cook who is invited to Doha to do catering service for a marriage ceremony.
Varuna Shetty was cast as the heroine, her debut film in Malayalam. She does the role of Janaki, daughter of a Dubai-based business man. It is her wedding which centres the main plot in the film. Her father calls renowned chefs from Kerala to make a traditional Sadya for her wedding. Mythili is the other female lead in the film. Nihal Pillai is playing a villain role in the film.
The principal photography began on 8 January 2014 at Doha. The shooting was held in the restaurant Spice Boat, which is indeed the hotel owned by Indrajith's mother Mallika Sukumaran. The crew returned from Doha only by 13 January. The rest of the shoot progressed in Ottappalam. A Thiruvathirakkali of 300 artists was shot in Dubai. The film was shot in and around the Gulf regions. The shooting in Dubai was wrapped in two weeks and return to shoot in Ottapalam. In May, the film completed its shoot in Doha, Dubai, Kochi, and Thiruvananthapuram.
|Soundtrack album by Job Kurian|
The soundtrack consists of 3 songs composed by Job Kurian and sung by K. S. Chithra, Kavalam Sreekumar and Job Kurian himself. Lyrics are penned by Kavalam Narayana Panicker. Rasam makes the debut of musician turned composer Job Kurian. Previously he had co-composed the background score of a Kannada film. K.S Chithra had sung a traditional thiruvathira song and Kavalam Sreekumar sung a fun song on the occasion of a feast. Job Kurian's is a travel track in the drum and base genre with Indian elements.
|1.||"Dhanumasa Palazhi"||Kavalam Narayana Panicker||K. S. Chithra||3:55|
|2.||"Sarasa Sarasaro"||Kavalam Narayana Panicker||Kavalam Sreekumar||3:16|
|3.||"Mayamo Marimayamo"||Kavalam Narayana Panicker||Job Kurian||4:14|
- "Malayalam film 'Rasam', shot in Qatar to release soon". The New Indian Express. 5 January 2015. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "Mohanlal Joins The Sets Of Rasam". rediff. 14 January 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- "Mohanlal Joins The Sets Of Rasam". indiaeveryday. 13 January 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- "Malayalam film shot in Qatar to release soon". Yahoo! Maktoob News. 4 January 2015. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- Nicy (27 January 2015). "'Rasam' Review Round Up: Mohanlal-Indrajith Starrer Fails to Impress Critics". International Business Times.
- 'Rasam' from 23 January.
- "Mohanlal and Indrajith together again". nowrunning.com. 29 November 2013. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Rasam Synopsis". nowrunning.com. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Varuna Shetty to be the heroine in 'Rasam'". nowrunning.com. 10 February 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Varuna Shetty To Pair Opposite To Indrajith In 'Rasam'". indiancinemagallery.com. 6 February 2014. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- I was in awe of Mohanlal but was never intimidated by him
- "Mohanlal Joins The Sets Of Rasam". filmibeat.com. 9 January 2014.
- "'Rasam' started rolling". nowrunning.com. 9 January 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "'Rasam' shooting completed". nowrunning.com. 8 May 2014.
- "Rasam (2014) Soundtrack". Musicindiaonline. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Interview with job Kurian". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 October 2014.