Pumpkin pie spice
Pumpkin pie spice is an American spice mix commonly used as an ingredient in pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie spice (sometimes also referred to as pumpkin spice) is similar to the British and Commonwealth mixed spice. It is generally a blend of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and sometimes allspice. It can also be used as a seasoning in general cooking.
- 18 parts ground cinnamon
- 4 parts ground nutmeg
- 4 parts ground ginger
- 3 parts ground cloves
- 3 parts ground allspice
A “Pompkin” recipe calling for a similar spice mix (mace, nutmeg and ginger) can be found as far back as 1796 in the first known published American cookbook, American Cookery, written by Amelia Simmons:
No. 1. One quart stewed and strained, 3 pints cream, 9 beaten eggs, sugar, mace, nutmeg and ginger, laid into paste No. 7 or 3, and with a dough spur, cross and chequer it, and baked in dishes three quarters of an hour.
No. 2. One quart of milk, 1 pint pompkin, 4 eggs, molasses, allspice and ginger in a crust, bake 1 hour.
Pumpkin pie spice has been referenced in cookbooks dating to the 1890s. In recognition of its popularity, it is now available ready-mixed by several companies including McCormick & Company, Trader Joe's and Frontier Natural Products Co-op. As of 2016, pumpkin spice consumables produce $500 million in annual sales
- DIY Pumpkin Spice: Your Must-Make Fall Ingredient - Betty Crocker (General Mills)
- "American Cookery by Amelia Simmons - Full Text Free Book". www.fullbooks.com. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- Farmer, Fannie Meritt. 1896. The Original Boston Cooking-School Cookbook, Facsimile Edition of 1986, Weathervane Books, NY,NY
- Smiley's cookbook and universal household guide. Smiley Publishing Co. Chicago
- Coppin, C.A. 1910. Mamma's Hints to Housekeepers. Advanced Stove Works, Keller-Crescent, Evansville,IN.
- McCormick & Company, Incorporated, 211 Schilling Circle, Hunt Valley, MD 21031
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Trader Joe's
- Frontier Pumpkin Pie Spice Seasoning Blend 1.92 oz. Frontier CO-OP
- "A brief history of how pumpkin spice took over our lives". businessinsider.com. Retrieved 21 April 2018.