Prince Louis of Cambridge
23 April 2018|
St Mary's Hospital, London, England
|Father||Prince William, Duke of Cambridge|
|Royal family of|
the United Kingdom and the
other Commonwealth realms
Prince Louis of Cambridge (Louis Arthur Charles; born 23 April 2018) is a member of the British royal family. He is the third and youngest child and second son of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. He is fifth in the line of succession to the British throne.
Kensington Palace announced on 4 September 2017 that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were expecting their third child. A son was born at 11:01 BST (10:01 UTC) on 23 April 2018. He was first seen in public seven hours after his birth, outside the Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital. On 27 April 2018, it was announced that the baby had been named Louis Arthur Charles, the first and last names honouring his paternal great-great-great-uncle Lord Mountbatten and his paternal grandfather the Prince of Wales, respectively. Louis is pronounced LOO-ee (//).
On 9 July 2018, Prince Louis was baptised by the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Chapel Royal at St James's Palace, using water from the River Jordan according to tradition. Louis's godparents are Nicholas van Cutsem, Guy Pelly, Harry Aubrey-Fletcher, Lady Laura Meade, Hannah Gillingham Carter, and Lucy Middleton. The christening gown is a replica of the original made for Queen Victoria's first child in 1841. It was created in 2008 and used for every royal christening since. The font was also first used in 1841.
Title and succession
Louis is, from birth, a prince of the United Kingdom, entitled to the style of Royal Highness under letters patent issued by his great-grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, on 31 December 2012, which gave the title and style to all children of the Prince of Wales's eldest son. He is thus styled "His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Cambridge".
Prince Louis is fifth in the line of succession to the British throne, behind his grandfather, father and older siblings, Prince George and Princess Charlotte. Following the implementation of the Perth Agreement, which replaced male-preference primogeniture with absolute primogeniture, he is the first British prince to be ranked behind an elder sister in the line of succession.
|Ancestors of Prince Louis of Cambridge|
- British princes do not normally use a surname. When needed, the surname for male-line descendants of Elizabeth II is usually Mountbatten-Windsor.
- "The Royal Family name". The Official Website of the British Monarchy. The Royal Household. Archived from the original on 15 February 2009. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Duchess of Cambridge expecting third child". BBC News. 4 September 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "Duchess gives birth to baby boy". BBC News. 23 April 2018. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- Staff author (May 2018). "Prince Louis". www.royal.uk. London: Buckingham Palace. Archived from the original on 28 May 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Prince Louis Arthur Charles: New royal baby name announced by Duke and Duchess of Cambridge". The Telegraph. 27 April 2018. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
- "Royal baby: Duke and duchess show off new son". BBC News. 23 April 2018. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- "Royal baby: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge name their baby son Louis". The Guardian. Press Association. 27 April 2018. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
- "Royal baby named Prince Louis". BBC News. 27 April 2018. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
Lou-ee not Lou-iss
- "Prince Louis to be baptised on 9 July". BBC. 20 June 2018. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- "The Christening of Prince Louis: guests and godparents". The Royal Family. 9 July 2018. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "Prince Louis christening: George and Charlotte seen with brother for first time". BBC. 9 July 2018. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "No. 60384". The London Gazette. 8 January 2013. p. 213.
- "Royal baby: Duchess of Cambridge gives birth to new prince". BBC News. 23 April 2018. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- Paget, Gerald (1977). The Lineage and Ancestry of H.R.H. Prince Charles, Prince of Wales (2 vols). Edinburgh: Charles Skilton. ISBN 978-0-284-40016-1.
- Williamson, D. (1981). "The Ancestry of Lady Diana Spencer". Genealogist's Magazine. 20 (6): 192–199.
- Reitwiesner, William Addams (April 2011). The Ancestry of Catherine Middleton. New England Historic Genealogical Society. ISBN 978-0880822527.
- Prince Louis of Cambridge at the Royal Family website
Prince Louis of CambridgeBorn: 23 April 2018
|Lines of succession|
Princess Charlotte of Cambridge
| Succession to the British throne
5th in line
The Duke of Sussex