Pork chops and applesauce
Pork chops and applesauce is a traditional dish in Spain and the United Kingdom, consisting of cooked pork chops and apple sauce. The pork chops can be pan-fried, baked or broiled, and the meat is sometimes breaded prior to cooking. Some people consider the dish to be a comfort food.
In popular culture
In episode #55 of The Brady Bunch titled "The Personality Kid" that aired in 1971, the phrase "pork chops and applesauce" is stated by Peter Brady (played by Christopher Knight) using an impression of the voice of Humphrey Bogart. It has been described as a famous catchphrase of the television show.
- Good Housekeeping. C.W. Bryan. 1893. p. 23. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- The New Yorker. New Yorker Magazine. 1925. p. 40. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- Sarlin, J. (1991). Food from an American Farm. Simon & Schuster. p. 153. ISBN 978-0-671-68499-0. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- Prairie Farmer. Prairie Farmer Publishing Company. 1995. p. 70. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- Gazzaniga, D.A. (2002). The No-Salt, Lowest-Sodium Cookbook: Hundreds of Favorite Recipes Created to Combat Congestive Heart Failure and Dangerous Hypertension. St. Martin's Press. p. 82. ISBN 978-0-312-29164-8. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- Villas, J. (2011). Pig: King of the Southern Table. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. p. 118. ISBN 978-0-544-18770-2. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- Whitehead, J. (1889). The Steward's Handbook and Guide to Party Catering. J. Anderson & Company, printers. p. 406. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- Altiero, K.; Gaudet, K.; Kelly, M. (2014). Adventures in Comfort Food: Incredible, Delicious and New Recipes from a Unique, Small-Town Restaurant. Page Street Publishing. p. 242. ISBN 978-1-62414-081-5. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- Bilderback, L. (2007). The Complete Idiot's Guide to Comfort Food. The Complete Idiot's Guide Series. Alpha Books. p. 125. ISBN 978-1-59257-633-3. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- Filippini, A. (1890). The Table: How to Buy Food, how to Cook It, and how to Serve it. Webster. p. 260. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- Freehof, I.; Catton, P. (2005). The Comfort Diner Cookbook: A World Of Classic Diner Delights, From Homestyle Dinners To Satisfying Breakfasts And Fun Midnight Treats. Clarkson Potter/Publishers. p. 91. ISBN 978-1-4000-8108-0. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- "Pork Chops and Applesauce". Gourmet. September 2003. Retrieved July 29, 2017 – via Epicurious.
- "In Memory of The Brady Bunch's Ann B. Davis: Make Pork Chops and Applesauce". People. June 2, 2014. Retrieved July 29, 2017.