|Pirzada Qasim Raza Siddiqui|
8 February 1943|
|Alma mater||University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom|
|Known for||Literary work in Urdu language|
University of Karachi|
Federal Urdu University
Nazeer Hussain University
Laboratories of Lord Walton of Detachant
Pirzada Qasim Raza Siddiqui (Urdu: پیرزادہ قاسم رضا صدیقی) (born 8 February 1943) is a noted Pakistani scholar, poet, scientist and educationist. He is serving as Chancellor of the Nazeer Hussain University.
Early life and career
Pirzada was born on 8 February 1943 to an educated, Urdu-speaking family in Delhi, India. After the partition of Pakistan and India in 1947, he continued his studies in Pakistan and received his college degrees from D J Science College in Karachi and BSc (H) from University of Karachi. He earned his PhD degree at Newcastle University, England.
Pirzada Qasim started his career as a lecturer at the University of Karachi and became a professor. He has been associated with the University's Department of Physiology since 1960. He also served as Vice-Chancellor at the Federal Urdu University, University of Karachi and Ziauddin University. He has also served as the Chancellor of Nazeer Hussain University. He has written several books in English and Urdu, including Urdu poetry.
- Tund Hawaa ke Jashn mei - A collection of some of his Urdu Poetry.
- Free amino acids in blood, liver and muscle of Uromastix hardwickii. Pak. J. Biochem. 1 (1–2): 1–4 (1968).
- Synthesis of some immunosuppressive agents. J. Sci. 2 (1): 131–134 (1973).
- Histamine and its antagonists. I. Some stearic and pharmacodynamic consideration. J. Sci. 2(2): 249–258 (1973)
- Some azaindoles and related derivatives of potential biological interest. 11th Ann. Med. Symp., J.P.M.C., Karachi Abs. p-29 (1973)
- Changes in some of the properties of muscle membrane produced by chronic denervation in rat diaphragm. 11th Ann. Med. Symp., J.P.M.C., Karachi, Abs. p30.
- Studies on erythrocytes in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. 7th Symposium on Current Research in Muscular Dystrophy, Birmingham. Abs. 4 (1977). Foreign (International)
- Effect of ouabain upon erythrocyte membrane adenosine triphosphatase in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. J. Neurol. Sci. 34: 365–372 (1977). Foreign (International)
- Erythrocytes in Duchenne Muscular dystrophy. J. Pak. Med. Assoc. 29 (7): 144–150 (1979).
- Temperature dependent contractile properties of normal and denervated skeletal muscles. Nat. Sci. 1(1): 16–32 (1979).
- Effect of temperature on the duration of active state in normal and denervated skeletal muscle. Nat. Sci. 1(1): 33–40 (1979).
- Studies on autohemolysis in human erythrocytes. Nat. Sci. 1(1): 41–49 (1979).
- The effect of preincubation on adenosine triphosphatase activity of human erythrocyte membranes. Nat. Sci. 1(2): 105–110.
- Studies on the duration of parental immunity in chicks. Nat. Sci. 1(2): 102–104 (1979).
- An evaluation of some carrier detection techniques in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. J. Neurol. Sci. 43: 377–394 (1979). Foreign (International)
- The effect of dexamethasone on the growth of gamma irradiated tadpoles. Acta Anatomica 105: 134–139 (1979). Foreign (International)
- Levels of liver glycogen during normal and radiation induced metamorphosis in Rana Cyanophlyctus. Acta. Anatomica. 105: 338–343 (1979). Foreign (International)
- Thermostability of the lentogenic strains of Newcastle disease virus. Nat. Sci. 1(3): 137–142.
- Gamma rays as stressor of tadpole growth. Radiobiol. Radiother. 20: 661–670 (1979). Foreign (International)
- The effect of Dexamethasone and vitamin A on the growth and metamorphosis of gamma-irradiated thyroxine induced Bufo melanosticutus tadpoles. Radiobiol. Raditother. 21: 156–161 (1980) Foreign (International)
- On the effects of Amygdalin (Vitamin B-17) in Cancer Evaluation in rats administered Dimethylnitrosamine. Nat. Sci. 3(2): 33–39.
- Cancer risk in Pakistan: Environmental mycotoxin and prevention of exposure. Nat. Sci., 3: 96–97 (1981).
- Electrocardiographic studies in the patients of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. J. Pak. Med. Assoc. 34(5): 117–121 (1984).
- Osmotic fragility of erythrocytes in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. J. Pak. Med. Assoc. 34(5): 127–134.
- Myoglobinuria in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. J. Pak. Med. Assoc. 23: 95–99 (1984).
- Binding of Cardiac Glycoside Ouabain to Dystrophic Erythrocyte Membranes. Pak. J. Pharmacol. 2: 37–42 (1985).
- Relative vapour pressure lowering in the skeletal muscles of different animals and in the denervated and tenotomised muscles of uromastix. J. Pharm. Univ. Kar., 42(2): 119–122 (1986).
- Semen Analysis in insulin dependent/ non insulin dependent diabetic men with/ without Neuropathy. Arch. Androl. 30: 47–54 (1993). Foreign (International)
- Serum and Urinary levels of pituitary-gonadal hormones in insulin dependent and non insulin dependent diabetic males with and without neuropathy. Arch. Androl. 30: 117–123 (1993). Foreign (International)
- Comparative studies of the induction of Erectile response to film and fantasy in diabetic men with and without neuropathy. Arch. Androl. 30: 137–145 (1993). Foreign (International).
- Conduction velocity of the dorsal nerve of penis and penile brachial index in insulin dependent/ non insulin dependent diabetic men with/ without neuropathy. Arch. STD/HIV Res. 7(2): 105–114 (1993). Foreign (International)
- Diabetic neuropathies in males, circadian variation in pituitary gonadal hormonal release. Pak. J. Pharmacol, 11(1), 19–27 (1994).
- Estimation of nor adrenalne content of human penile tissue in diabetic men with/without neuropathy. Pak. J. Pharaceu. Sci. 7(2): 35–44 (1994).
- Eretle impotence in Insulin dependent (IDDM) and non-insulin dependent (NIDDM) diabetic men with/without neuropathy. Arc. STD/HIC Res. 7(2): 97–103 (1993). Foreign (International).
- "KARACHI: Pirzada Qasim appointed first VC of Urdu varsity". Dawn (newspaper). 27 December 2002. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- "Over 500 awarded degrees at Ziauddin varsity convocation". Dawn (newspaper). 26 April 2018. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- Hasan Mansoor (21 November 2016). "Doctors, families turn up in large numbers at festival on last day". Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- Sājid, Afsar (2000). Appraisals. Beacon Books. p. 222.
- Affairs, United Nations: Office for Outer Space; Nation, United; Association, Spaceweek International (July 2006). Report on World Space Week 2005: Prepared in Cooperation with Spaceweek International Association. United Nations Publications. pp. 21–. ISBN 978-92-1-101131-9.
- "Profile: Phrasing empathy (article includes profile of Pirzada Qasim Raza Siddiqui)". Dawn (newspaper). 29 May 2011. Retrieved 25 May 2018.