Peter Reginato (2014)
|Born||August 19, 1945|
|Education||San Francisco Art Institute|
Abstract sculpture |
Peter Reginato (born August 19, 1945), is an American abstract sculptor and painter.
Reginato was born in Dallas, Texas, but grew up in the hills outside Oakland, California, attending the San Francisco Art Institute from 1963 to 1966. He began making abstract sculpture in 1965 and moved to New York City in 1966 to pursue his career as a sculptor. In 1967 he was included in several group exhibitions including showing a major piece at the Park Place Gallery in New York City.
During his early career he was represented by the Tibor de Nagy Gallery and was associated with the Park Place Gallery. In 1970 and then again in 1973, he was included in the Whitney Museum of American Art's Biennial.
Following this early success, Reginato continued to show his large sculptural works in over 60 solo and group exhibitions. He was represented for a long period by the Heidi Cho Gallery, and his work was in several exhibitions with them, including one with fellow painter Ronnie Landfield. At this time, Reginato became known for his large, welded steel sculptures. He experimented with painting and not painting his works, exploring color and texture and form, culminating in his eventual transition into painting in 2015, as revealed by an exhibition at Adelson Galleries in New York, written about by John Yao of Hyperallergic, David Cohen of Artcritical, and James Panero of Supreme Fiction. Reginato committed to his large, brightly painted enamel paintings, showing a new series of them at an exhibition at the Findlay Galleries in New York in 2017.
Currently, Reginato lives and works in SoHo, and teaches at The Art Students League of New York.
Reginato's work has been featured in many different exhibitions, including at the following:
- Adelson Gallery
- Elaine Baker Gallery, Boca Raton, Florida
- Meredith Long & Company, Houston, Texas
- Heidi Cho Gallery, New York, New York
- White 8 Gallery
- Andre Zarre Gallery, New York, New York
- Baker Sponder Gallery, Boca Raton, Florida
- Broadfoot and Broadfoot, Boonton, New Jersey
- The Butler Institute of American Art, Chicago, Illinois
- Findlay Galleries
Selected Permanent Collections
Reginato has work in the permanent collections of the following:
- Allen Art Center, Houston, Texas
- Brown University
- The Corcoran Gallery of Art
- The Hirshorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
- IBM Corporation
- The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art
- Mary and Leigh Block Museum of Art at Northwestern University
- The Mead Art Museum, Amherst College, Massachusetts
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- The Mint Museum of Art
- The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- "Peter Reginato – The Art Students League". The Art Students League. Retrieved 2018-03-29.
- "PeterReginato.com: Adelson Gallery Show". www.peterreginato.com. Retrieved 2018-03-29.
- "Peter Reginato - Findlay Galleries". Findlay Galleries. Retrieved 2018-03-29.
- "Peter Reginato | Kingfish | The Met". The Metropolitan Museum of Art, i.e. The Met Museum. Retrieved 2018-03-29.