2050 Adams Lane|
Sarasota, FL 34237
|Coordinates||27°20′03″N 82°31′45″W / 27.3340696°N 82.5290683°WCoordinates: 27°20′03″N 82°31′45″W / 27.3340696°N 82.5290683°W|
|Owner||City of Sarasota|
Left field – 375 ft (114 m)
Center field – 500 ft (150 m)
Right field – 375 ft (114 m)
Left field – 352 ft (107 m)
Center field – 415 ft (126 m)
Right field – 352 ft (107 m)
|Broke ground||October 18, 1923|
|Opened||February 1, 1924|
|Construction cost||$18,000 (1923)|
|New York Giants|
Sarasota Gulls (FSL)
Sarasota Tarpons (FSL)
Boston Red Sox
Chicago White Sox
Sarasota Sun Sox (FSL)
Payne Park is a former baseball field from 1924 to 1990 in Sarasota, Florida. The stadium and field were built on a portion of 60 acres (0.24 km2) of land donated by Calvin Payne and his wife, Martha. Payne Park today is a 29-acre (0.12 km2) public park used for recreational events.
The ballpark was erected in 1924 and was a long time spring training and minor league site for baseball clubs such as the Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox and the New York Giants. The park ceased its association with professional baseball in 1989 with the construction of Ed Smith Stadium and the ballpark was demolished. Until 1963, the ballpark's dimensions were 375 feet (114 m) down the foul-lines and 500 feet (150 m) to center-field.
The ballpark was refurbished on multiple occasions. Prior to Spring Training 1951, the City of Sarasota added 600 permanent bleachers increasing capacity to just over 4,000. The size of the press-box was doubled as well.
The White Sox moved their spring training games from Tampa to Sarasota in 1960. Prior to spring training 1963, The City of Sarasota changed the ballpark's dimensions to 352 feet (107 m) down the foul-lines and 415 feet (126 m) to center field to match the White Sox' Comiskey Park dimensions.
The Chicago White Sox and Texas Rangers played the last major league spring training game at Payne Park on March 30, 1988.
Payne Park today
The City of Sarasota reopened the former ballpark-site as Payne Park on October 6, 2007 as a 29-acre (0.12 km2) public park space. The public park was built at a cost of $8.8 million, funded by a county-wide penny surtax.
It features a public skateboard park, Frisbee golf course, tracks for walking and riding bikes, lakes and a cafe serving lunches and refreshments. In 2012 the city opened the "circus playground," featuring a small waterpark on site.
- "Chisox To Find Comiskey-Sized Diamond Feb. 21". Sarasota Journal. 1963-01-17. p. 32.
- "Payne Park Historical Marker". 2000 Adams Lane, Sarasota, FL: Sarasota History Alive!. Sarasota County Historical Commission. 1996. Retrieved 2018-04-03.
- "Chisox to Find Comiskey-Sized Diamond Feb. 21". Sarasota Journal. 1963-01-28. p. 32.
- "Bosox Greeted By A Shiny Payne Park". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. 1951-02-28. p. 1.
- "Sox Here For Sixth Spring". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. 1965-02-28. p. 2.
- "City Celebrates Payne Park Grand Opening". City of Sarasota. 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2010-07-03.