Paramount Channel logo
March 30, 2012 (Spain) |
September 5, 2013 (France)
February 14, 2014 (Hungary)
February 14, 2014 (Russia)
May 28, 2014 (Romania)
November 14, 2014 (Brazil, Latin America)
December 16, 2014 (Sweden)
March 19, 2015 (Poland)
February 27, 2016 (Italy)
July 4, 2018 (United Kingdom)
June 10, 2018|
|Owned by||Viacom International Media Networks|
|Broadcast area||Europe, Latin America, Russia, South East Asia|
Channel 111 (HD)Channel 188 (SD)
Paramount Channel is the name of several television channels operated by Viacom International Media Networks which showcase the Paramount Pictures film catalogue. The first Paramount Channel was launched in Spain on March 30, 2012, and in the years since, the channel has operated in a number of territories across Europe, Latin America and Asia.
To date, Paramount Channel has launched in Spain in March 2012, France in September 2013, Hungary in February 2014, Russia in February 2014, Romania on May 28, 2014, Latin America in November 2014, Sweden in December 2014 (this channel was closed on June 30, 2017.), Poland in March 2015, Italy and Thailand in February 2016, and in the Middle East in April 2018.
In May 2018, Viacom announced that the Spanish version of the channel would re-launch as Paramount Network (mirroring the rebranding of the U.S. network formerly known as Spike) on 10 June 2018, switching to a general entertainment format with television series and films.
The original Paramount Channel in Spain primarily broadcast films from 1980s and 1990s, as well as recent television series. The international versions that followed shared a similar format but never the same programming. For instance, films from the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s were broadcast in France, recent TV series and 1990s and 2000s films were broadcast in Italy, and films from the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s were broadcast in Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, the Middle East, Latin America and Southeast Asia.
- Barraclough, Leo. "Paramount Channel Reaches Out to Russia, Hungary". Variety. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Paramount Channel". Variety. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- Leo Barraclough (2014-02-18). "Paramount Channel Reaches Out to Russia, Hungary". Variety. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- Anna Marie de la Fuente (2014-09-10). "Paramount to Launch Movie Channel in Latin America". Variety. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Spain Getting First Paramount Network Outside U.S." The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-06-01.