|Founded||Stockholm, Sweden (1999)|
|Founder||Willem De Geer, Markus Skyttner, Ludvig Sandman, Sam Giertz|
Number of locations
|6 (Stockholm, London, New York, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago)|
|North America, Europe, Asia|
|Products||Panopticon 6 Enterprise Application with Embed Option, Panopticon Developer SDK for Java, .NET & Microsoft WPF|
Number of employees
Panopticon Software (now known as Datawatch Designer) was a multi-national data visualization software company specializing in monitoring and analysis of real-time data. The firm was headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden, with additional offices in New York City, London, Boston, San Francisco, and Chicago. It partnered with several large systems integrators and infrastructure software companies, including SAP, Thomson Reuters, Kx Systems, and One Market Data (OneTick). The company's name is derived from the Greek: 'pan' for all, 'optic' for sight. The company name is derived from the word panopticon which is an architectural concept originally intended to facilitate surveillance of prisons.
In August 2013, Panopticon was acquired by Datawatch Corporation.
Panopticon Software was a key player in the data visualization sector along with for example Qliktech, Tableau Software and Tibco Software. Its Swedish origins are shared with GapMinder, Qliktech and Spotfire, making Sweden a centre for Information Visualization research and development.
It historically specialised in selling Treemapping and Heatmap visualisation software and development tools to clients within the financial services and telecommunications industries. It uses a variety of other visual analysis tools in its products, including Scatter Plots, Dot Plots, Pie Charts, Line Graphs, and Bullet Graph visualizations. The company's products are sometimes deployed as Executive Dashboards that allow managers to interact, explore, monitor and analyze rapidly changing and/or large data sets. Panopticon tools are also often embedded in other enterprise applications using the company's software development kit, which is available for Java, Microsoft .NET and the Windows Presentation Foundation. The Panopticon products are optimized for use with real-time data message buses, complex event processing engines, relational databases, and column-oriented databases and is a regular exhibitor at financial industry events such as Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, and SIA.
The company was founded in 1999 as a wholly owned subsidiary of the emerging markets brokerage Brunswick Direct before being spun off as a separate entity in 2002. It later was acquired by the UK based Hamsard Group (Hamsard is now known as Cantono Plc), and became a subsidiary of the Group. In March 2007 its competitor Spotfire undertook negotiations with Hamsard Group, to take full ownership of Panopticon. This potential deal was not completed, Spotfire pulling out of negotiations, and itself subsequently being purchased by Tibco. In May 2007 the company was sold back to its founders as part of a management buyout.
In March 2012, the company announced that Omaha Foreign Exchange had deployed Panopticon visual data analysis software within its new facilities to analyze risk, liquidity and other key performance factors.
In May 2012, the company announced that QlikTech had partnered with Panopticon to enable QlikTech clients to embed Panopticon data visualizations into their QlikView dashboards. Panopticon supports QlikView desktop, web, and mobile interactive dashboards and allows users to filter and interact directly with real-time data.
In August 2012, the company announced that Campbell & Company, an asset manager with over $3 billion under management, had implemented its advanced data visualization tools as part of a OneTick deployment. Campbell & Co. decided it needed a better way to store, distribute and visualize its data, so it turned to OneMarketData and Panopticon for the solution.
In April 2013, Panopticon was selected for inclusion in UBM Tech Channel's CRN 2013 Big Data 100 list. The Big Data 100 recognizes innovative technology vendors that help businesses manage "Big Data" — the rapidly increasing volume, variety and velocity of information being generated today. The list covers three categories: business analytics, data management, infrastructure and services. The Big Data 100 includes many established vendors as well as startups and specialized suppliers of niche products that help businesses address Big Data needs.
In April 2013, Panopticon was named a Gartner "Cool Vendor" in the Cool Vendors for In-Memory Computing 2013 report by Gartner, Inc. The April 23, 2013 report was co-authored by Roy Schulte, Roxane Edjlali, et al. This is the first year that Gartner has called out In-Memory Computing specifically as a subject for one of its Cool Vendor reports.
In June 2013, Panopticon announced that Tony Evans had joined the company in the newly created role of Chief Operating Officer. Evans will head the growing Panopticon sales and marketing group and work directly and will be part of the company's executive management team. Evans will be based in the company’s expanded New York office.
Pre-Attentive Processing is a term from the area of human cognitive psychology and refers to the ability of the low-level human visual system to rapidly identify certain basic visual properties. Examples of visual features that can be detected in this way include hue, intensity, enclosure, orientation, size, and motion.
Panopticon's technology relies on in-memory OLAP cubes, which are displayed through a series of visualizations including treemaps. This allows the user to load data, select variables and hierarchical structures, and navigate through the resultant visualization, filtering, zooming and drilling (sometimes called slicing and dicing), to identify outliers, correlations and trends.
Its streaming OLAP implementation takes an in-memory OLAP cube and allows data to be streamed through it. This combination makes the company's products attractive to industry verticals that require live streaming data, such as financial market data utility grid monitoring and telecommunications network traffic analysis. This is very different than the vast majority of OLAP implementations in which cubes are rebuilt periodically for new batches of data.
This support for streaming data with its products has allowed financial institutions such as JPMorgan Chase , Citigroup , Citadel , and BlackRock to implement the Panopticon Products within their real-time trading and risk applications. Euromoney has stated that it provides the trader community with a way of quickly digesting information.
Panopticon has two platform independent product lines: Its enterprise application, which support enterprise deployments and also provides the ability to embed Panopticon tools into third party applications, and its SDKs in Java language, .NET Framework and Microsoft Windows Presentation Foundation.
Joint ventures and strategic alliances
In February 2012, the company announced the release of a real-time data connector for Oracle CEP; this will allow Oracle customers to utilize Panopticon’s interactive dashboards as the user interface for their CEP-enabled analytical solutions.
In November 2011, Sky Road ASP, a provider of innovative cloud-based solutions to the financial services industry, will integrate Panopticon visualizations into its systems to allow traders and managers to view intraday P&L, exposures and other key parameters using interactive analytical dashboards.
In October 2011, the company announced a strategic relationship with OneMarketData to incorporate Panopticon's real-time data visualizations to OneMarketData's OneTick CEP and database system in order to offer a single solution for tick data management, analytics and complex event processing (CEP).
In June 2011, Callidus Software Inc, Sales Performance Management (SPM) company, launched its Sales Performance Visualizer solution that incorporates Panopticon visualization tools.
In May 2011, Imagine Software, a developer of software for hedge funds, asset management firms, pension funds, investment banks, prime brokers, market-makers, and sovereign wealth funds, integrated Panopticon visualizations into its portfolio and risk management system
In May 2011, the company announced that Thomson Reuters is embedding Panopticon visualizations into its Quant trader platform to allow traders and quantitative researchers to analyze and monitor any real-time or historical data series available via Thomson Reuters Velocity Analytics.
In November 2010, the company signed an agreement with Sybase, an SAP company that allows Sybase to Panopticon's enterprise application with other Sybase products including Sybase IQ, Sybase RAP the Trading Edition, the Sybase ESP CEP engine, and Sybase ASE.
In November 2010, GoldenSource announced that it will incorporate Panopticon's data visualization tools into their systems in order to offer clients a more user-friendly front end.
In February 2008, Tbricks, an algo trading software developer, announced the launch of Tbricks Genesis for automated trading of any electronically traded asset class. This system incorporates Panopticon Treemaps and other data visualizations as primary components in the user interface.
In May 2006, Polystar, a developer of telecoms network monitoring software, announced it had become an OEM for Panopticon data visualization technology.
- Datawatch Corporation (DWCH), the leading global provider of information optimization solutions, today completed its acquisition of Panopticon Software AB, a privately held company based in Stockholm, Sweden and an industry leader in real-time visual data discovery solutions.
- Oracle targets CFOs with Hyperion acquisition
- Treemaps for space-constrained visualization of hierarchies
- Survey of treemap techniques
- "SIFMA's Technology Management Conference 2008", events.sifma.org
- 2007 Technology Management Conference and Exhibit
- About Panopticon
- AIM float to raise £3m for Hamsard, Computerweekly.com
- Cantono PLC (CTNO) - Proposed disposal, EGM notice
- Cantono PLC (CTNO) - - Debt for Equity Conv and EGM
- TIBCO and Spotfire, archived from the original on April 21, 2008
- Final Results CANTONO PLC
- OFX Taps Panopticon Tools
- Panopticon Software Partners With QlikTech To Provide Real-Time Visual Data Monitoring And Analysis Dashboards - Partnership Provides The Unique Combination Of Visual Analysis Capabilities Across Real-Time And Historical Event Analytics Coupled With The QlikView Business Discovery Platform
- New Real-Time Data Visualization Capabilities for SAP HANA Announced by Panopticon Software
- Risk on the Move: Campbell Targets Data Volumes, Risk
- Increased demand for real-time visual analytics solutions in financial services, telecommunications, energy, manufacturing, and retailing are driving the company's growth.
- Panopticon Software today announced it has been included in the UBM Tech Channel's CRN 2013 Big Data 100 list. The Big Data 100 recognizes innovative technology vendors that help businesses manage Big Data.
- Gartner Names Panopticon as Cool Vendor for In-Memory Computing. Panopticon Is Profiled in Gartner's First Ever Cool Vendor Report Focused on In-Memory Computing; the Report Was Published on April 23, 2013.
- Before joining Panopticon, Evans was with SAP where he held two senior positions: Vice President, Analytics and Regional Vice President of SAP’s Big Data, Analytics and Predictive business, with a focus on Financial Services, including Banking, Capital Markets, Insurance, and Exchanges. Before his tenure at SAP, Evans was Regional Sales Manager for Oracle where he was responsible for managing Oracle's Business Intelligence and Analytics business for the US Eastern Region.
- Panopticon extends the Datawatch solution to address business users' ubiquitous needs to understand and extract value from their data through a rich, visual data discovery experience.
- Perception in Visualization by Christopher G. Healey, Department of Computer Science, North Carolina State University
- Wolfe, J. M; Treisman, A.; Horowitz, T. S (2010), "What shall we do with the preattentive processing stage: Use it or lose it?, by Jeremy M Wolfe of Harvard Medical School & Brigham and Women's Hospital, Anne Treisman of Princeton University, Todd S Horowitz of Harvard Medical School & Brigham and Women's Hospital", Journal of Vision, Journal of Vision, 3 (9): 572, doi:10.1167/3.9.572
- Be Your Own Rocket Scientist, BusinessWeek
- Magma Systems Blog
- JPMorgan and Windows Customers Sway Visualization Vendor Toward .NET
- Citigroup uses Panopticon for CDS displays
- BlackRock Preps Panopticon
- Panopticon Closes Deal with Reuters
- Panopticon EX Data Visualization Software For Rapid Deployment, InformationWeek
- New Releases of Panopticon Data Visualization Software Support Fast Data Analysis and Short Implementation Cycles
- Panopticon Provides Enhanced Front End For CEP In Financial Services - Panopticon Delivers A High-Performance Connector For The Oracle CEP, Providing Financial Services Customers With World Class Visualizations And Analysis Of CEP Data
- Sky Road Employs Panopticon Visualisation Tools to Spot Trading Risks
- Panopticon and OneMarketData form partnership
- Portware Enters into Strategic Partnership with Panopticon for Data Visualization Solution
- Callidus Software Unveils New SPM Solution Using Panopticon Data Visualization Tools
- Imagine Software Leverages Panopticon Data Visualizations for its Real-Time Portfolio and Risk Management System - Imagine employs the Panopticon Developer SDK to tightly integrate analytical dashboards into its portfolio and risk management system
- Reuters & Panopticon embed data visualization technology into quant trading platform
- Panopticon Signs Reseller Agreement with Sybase announces Sales Promotion Sep 11
- Panopticon Partners with GoldenSource to Extend Scope of Data Visualization for the Securities and Investment Management Industry
- Tbricks Launches Next Dimension Automated Trading System
- Panopticon partners with Polystar to bring Visualisation to the Telecoms Market
- Bishopsgate Financial Announces Partnership with Panopticon
- Panopticon Software and c o m e Computer Systeme GmbH Partner
- Panopticon Appoints Technologies + Finance as New Partner for Treemap and Heatmap Data Visualization Software