Thamarasseril Illam, Cherthala, Kerala, British India
B.A. History, University College Trivandrum
Predegree, St. Berchmans College Changanacherry
Hindutva thinker |
Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh Pracharak
director of Bharatiya Vichara Kendra
president of Vivekananda Kendra
Padma Vibhushan 2018|
Padma Shri 2004
Amritha Keerti Puraskar 2002
P. Parameswaran (often referred to as Parameswarji) is a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) ideologue from Kerala, India. He is the director of Bharatiya Vichara Kendra and the president of Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari. He is also one of the founder members of the International Forum for India's Heritage (IFIH). He is considered as the most senior RSSpracharak and ideologue in Kerala. He was awarded India's second highest civilian award the Padma Vibhushan in 2018.
Born at Cherthala village in Alappuzha district in the year 1927, Parameshwaran after his schooling at his birthplace, continued his studies at St. Berchmans College and graduated from University College, Thiruvananthapuram with distinctions in BA (Hons.) in History. From early childhood, he had a great inclination towards the study of Hinduism. He was intimately connected with most of the Hindu social and cultural organizations.
He came into contact with the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) during his student days. He was also a disciple of Swami Agamananda. Parameshwaran became an RSS pracharak (full-time organizer) in 1950, as per the direction of M.S. Golwalkar (Guruji), who was the Sarsanghchalak of RSS. He served as organizing secretary of Bharatiya Jana Sangh in 1957. In 1968, he became and All‑India General Secretary and later Vice‑President of the Jan Sangh. He was jailed during the Indian Emergency (1975-1977). In 1977, Parameshwaran moved from politics to the sphere of social thought and development. He worked as director based in New Delhi for Deendayal Research Institute an organisation started by Nanaji Deshmukh for four years. P. Parameshwaran, a bachelor, who doesn't have a house of his own, is residing in the Vichara Kendram headquarters, Thiruvananthapuram.
In 1982, he came back to Kerala and gave shape to a new organization; Bharatiya Vichara Kendra aimed at national reconstruction through study and research. It has its headquarters in Thiruvananthapuram and has units all over the state. He is currently the Director of Bharatheeya Vichara Kendram. He has also been associated with the Vivekananda Rock Memorial and Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari and has served in various capacities in the governing body of the Kendra. He is the patron of Geetha Swadhyaya Samithi, which promotes the ideology of Bhagawad Geetha amongst youth.
He has written articles and books on social, cultural and religious themes. He has delivered lectures all over the country on national issues. He participated in the Centenary celebrations of Swami Vivekananda's address at the World Parliament of Religions held at Chicago in .
In 1998, as an answer to the rising crime rate, delinquency and other social evils in Kerala, Sri. Parameshwaran proposed observation of a 'Gita decade'. Popularizing the Bhagavad Gita as a comprehensive life science was his solution to the social problems of Kerala and the whole of India. The recently conducted two‑day Gita Sangamam at Thrissur attracted around two thousand youths from all over Kerala. Eminent personalities like Padma Subrahmanyam, Justice Sukumaran etc. attended the function, which was formally inaugurated by Ananth Kumar, Union Minister for Culture, Youth Affairs and Sports. The programme of conducting one Gita Shibir in each panchayat of Kerala is on.
The International Seminar 'Bhagavad-Gita Gita and Modern problems' held at Thiruvananthapuram from 7 to 4 December 2000, in which 1500 youths, scholars and saints from all over India and abroad including Murli Manohar Joshi, Union HRD Minister and the Dalai Lama participated, was a high-water mark of the Gita Movement organized by the Gita Swadhaya Samithi under the guidance of P. Parameswaran.
Awards and recognition
Parameshwaran was awarded the Hanuman Prasad Poddar Award instituted by Bada Bazar Library of Kolkata Calcutta in 1997, in recognition of his effort in teaching the lofty principles of Hinduism to the common man.
Awarded the Amritha Keerti Puraskar by Sri Mata Amritanandamayi Math on 26 September 2002, for outstanding service to the society. In 2004, the President of India awarded him the Padma Shri in recognition of his valuable contributions to the society. He has authored many books in Malayalam and English.
P. Parameshwaran has authored several books on Indian philosophy and society. He was the editor of the magazines ‑ 'Kesari' and 'Manthan'. Currently he is the editor of the monthly 'Yuva Bharathi' and the quarterly 'Vivekananda Kendra Patrilka'. Hehas written books on Sri Aurobindo, Marx and Vivekananda, Chhatrapati Shivaji, and Swami Vivekananda's teachings.
He also keeps his close association with Sri Ramakrishna Math and Advaita Ashram, Kalady.
He is also the recipient of Padma Vibhushan 2018.
Sri. Parameshwaran has authored several books on Indian philosophy and society. He was the editor of journals‑ 'Kesari' and 'Manthan'. Currently he is the editor of the monthly 'Yuva Bharathy' and the quarterly Vivekananda Kendra Patrilka and Chief Editor of 'Pragati' Quarterly Research Journal.
Books by him include:
- Sri Narayana Guru the Prophet of Renaissance.
- Sri Aravindan Bhaviyude Darsanikan.
- Vishwa Vijayi Vivekanandan.
- Marx and Vivekananda.
- From Marx to Maharshi.
- Bhagavad Gita - Vision of a New World Order.
- Beyond All Isms to Humanism.
- Heart Beats of a Hindu Nation (Compilation of selected editorials in Yuva Bharathy).
- Yajna Prasadam (Selected Poems).
- Disabodhathinate Darshanam (Selected Essays in Malayalam).
- Bhagavad-Gita The Nectar of Immortality (Collection of Essays on Gita).
- Marunna Samoohavum Maratha Mulyangalum.
- Gita's Vision Of An Ideal Society
- Makarajyotis(A brief study of Swami Vivekananda in Malayalam)
- Swanthantra Bharatham-Gatiyum Niyathiyum
- Hindudarmavum Indian communisavum
- Vivekanandanum Prabhudha Keralavum (Edited)
- Hindutva Ideology - Unique and Universal
- Heart Beats of Hindu Nation (3 volumes)
- "IFIH's Founder Members". International Forum for India's Heritage. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Government announces recipients of 2018 Padma awards". The Times of India. 26 January 2018. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "Director". Bharathiya Vichara Kendra. Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- ""Shri Golwalkar Guruji" web site". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Deendayal Research Institute".
- "Centre of Research and Studies Aimed at National Re-Construction in India". Bharatheeya Vichara Kendram. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Vivekananda Rock Memorial". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "History". Sri Ramakrishna Advaita Ashrama, Kalady. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "What is the Parliament of World Religions?". Council for the Parliament of World's Religions. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Amrita Keerti Puraskar". Mata Amritanandamayi Math. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission, Belur Math headquarters". Retrieved 5 October 2014.