Order of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas
|Order of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas|
Breast star of the Order
Awarded by |
|Type||5 Class Order with associated medal|
|Eligibility||Citizens of Lithuania and foreign nationals|
|Awarded for||Outstanding performance in civil and public offices|
|Next (higher)||Order of the Cross of Vytis|
|Next (lower)||Order for Merits to Lithuania|
The Order of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas is the Lithuanian Presidential Award which was re-instituted to honour the citizens of Lithuania for outstanding performance in civil and public offices. Foreign nationals may also be awarded this Order. The Order of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas was instituted in 1928. It features the Columns of Gediminas, one of the national symbols of Lithuania.
The Order of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas has five classes:
|1. Grand Cross|
|2. Commander's Grand Cross|
|3. Commander's Cross|
|4. Officer's Cross|
|5. Knight's Cross|
The first five persons awarded the Order of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas after the restoration of the Independent State of Lithuania in 1991 were poets Justinas Marcinkevičius, Bernardas Brazdžionis, priest Ričardas Mikutavičius, painter Vytautas Kazimieras Jonynas and mathematician Jonas Kubilius.
Other notable recipients
- Edvard Beneš, Czech politician and President of Czechoslovakia
- Algirdas Budrys, clarinetist
- Štefan Füle, Czech politician and diplomat
- James L. Jones, retired United States National Security Advisor and Commandant of the Marine Corps
- Ina Marčiulionytė, Ambassador and Permanent Delegate of the Republic of Lithuania to UNESCO
- George Robertson, Baron Robertson of Port Ellen, tenth Secretary General of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation
- Mstislav Rostropovich, cellist
- Juan Antonio Samaranch, former President of the International Olympic Committee
- George Soros, philanthropist
Images of order insignia
- "Order of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas". President of the Republic of Lithuania. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "NATO Biographies: Head of the Czech Delegation to NATO". Nato.int. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "NATO Media Library: - NATO Secretary General, Lord Robertson was awarded the Grand Cross of the Order of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas by the Lithuanian President, Rolandas Paksas - 4 Nov. 2003". Nato.int. Retrieved 16 November 2012.