Old LSU Site
Old LSU Site
|Nearest city||Pineville, Louisiana|
|Coordinates||31°21′31″N 92°26′14″W / 31.35861°N 92.43722°WCoordinates: 31°21′31″N 92°26′14″W / 31.35861°N 92.43722°W|
|Area||2 acres (0.81 ha)|
|NRHP reference #||73000876|
|Added to NRHP||August 14, 1973|
The Old LSU Site is located in Pineville, Louisiana. In November 1859, the institution's main building was completed. The institution's first superintendent was Major William Tecumseh Sherman. On January 2, 1860, the college opened with five professors and 19 cadets. In March 1860, the school's name was changed to Louisiana State Seminary of Learning & Military Academy (le Lycee Scientifique et Militaire de l'Etat de la Louisiane). The state's legislature allowed for as many as 150 cadets, with scholarships for boarding expenses. The total number of cadets eventually reached 73. The cadets were referred to as "beneficiary" cadets.
After Louisiana seceded from the United States in January 1861, Sherman resigned as superintendent of the school. In April 1861, large numbers of students and faculty began resigning in order to enlist in the Confederate military. On June 30, 1861; the seminary closed. It later reopened on April 1, 1862 with Rev. W.E.M. Linfield as acting superintendent. On November 1, 1869, the school was moved from Pineville and relocated to the capital city of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. In March 1870, the school's name was changed to Louisiana State University (l'Universite' de l'Etat de la Louisiane).
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 14, 1973.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-03-10. Retrieved 2014-12-21.
- letter from probably 1859 (before the school opened in January 1860) from the Seminary of Learning of the State of Louisiana to cadets ref. Maj. W. T. Sherman
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-06-30. Retrieved 2010-04-20.