O'Connor was founded in 1877 by a colony of Irish Catholics. It was named for Bishop James O'Connor, a member of the Catholic Colonization Association.
As of 2014, O'Connor consists solely of a Catholic church and its attendant parsonage. Nearby are occasional farm houses.
The Church was recently permanently closed and is no longer available to enter unless permission is expressly given by the parish and someone unlocks the barricades.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: O'Connor, Nebraska
- Theron E. Sedgwick (1921). York County, Nebraska and Its People: Together with a Condensed History of the State. S.J. Clarke. p. 115.
- Julius Sterling Morton; Albert Watkins; George L. Miller (1907). Illustrated History of Nebraska: A History of Nebraska from the Earliest Explorations of the Trans-Mississippi Region. J. North. p. 444.
- "O'Connor, Greeley County". Center for Advanced Land Management Information Technologies. University of Nebraska. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "Greeley County". Jim Forte Postal History.