Nurul Islam Nahid
|Nurul Islam Nahid|
Nahid in a BAKBISHISH seminar (May 2016)
|Minister of Education|
Assumed office |
6 January 2009
|Preceded by||Ayub Quadri|
5 July 1945|
Beanibazar, Sylhet District, Assam Province, British India
|Political party||Bangladesh Awami League|
|Alma mater||University of Dhaka|
Nurul Islam Nahid (born 5 July 1945) is a Bangladeshi politician. After the Awami League won the December 2008 election, he was appointed as Minister of Education of Bangladesh.
Early political career
Nurul Islam Nahid was born in Beanibazar in Sylhet District on 5 July 1945. Nahid's political career began at the time of the agitation against Ayub Khan. He was active in the student movements against military rule in Pakistan and the mass upsurge of 1969, and was an organizer of the guerrilla unit of the Chatra Union in War of Liberation of Bangladesh.
Nahid was an elected president of Bangladesh Chhatra Union in 1970 and a founding president of Jubo Union in 1976. Nahid became general secretary of Communist Party of Bangladesh in 1991. He played a very significant role in the movement in 1990, resulting in the establishment of a democratically elected government in Bangladesh. He joined Awami League (AL) in 1994, becoming a Member of Bangladesh National Parliament (1996–2001).
Nahid holds degrees from Sylhet MC College and the University of Dhaka.In 1970 he was elected as the President of the Student Union at Dhaka University. He has also authored seven books.
Nahid is married to Johra Jesmin, a civil officer. They have two daughters, Nadia Nandita Islam, a professor of Dhaka University, and Najia Samantha Islam who works in the private sector.
Nahid became the center of a criticism in Bangladesh during his tenure as the education minister when the question papers of nearly all public examinations including Primary Ending Certificate (PEC), Junior School Certificate (JSC), Secondary School Certificate (SSC) and High Secondary School Certificate (HSC) were leaked and the administration led by him failed to stop. On 14 February 2018, a Supreme Court Lawyer sent a legal notice to President Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina requesting them to discharge Nahid as the education minister over the question paper leak issue.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-04-09. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- Zobair, Mr. "Ministry of Education - Contact Information". www.moedu.gov.bd. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- "Ministry of Education". www.moedu.gov.bd. Retrieved 2016-04-13.
- "Mr. Nurul Islam Nahid" (PDF). North South University.
- "No guarantee question paper leaks will stop if Nahid resigns: MP Shamsul Hoque". bdnews24.com. Retrieved 2018-02-17.
- "Police looking for question paper leakers". bdnews24.com. Retrieved 2018-02-17.
- "SSC: Question of Bangla 2nd paper allegedly leaked as well". Dhaka Tribune. Retrieved 2018-02-17.
- "Legal notice seeks Nahid removed in 24hrs". The Daily Star. 2018-02-14. Retrieved 2018-02-17.