Northern Light Group
|Industry||Enterprise Information Portals|
|Headquarters||Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA|
Number of employees
Northern Light Group, LLC is a company specializing in strategic research portals, enterprise search technology, and text analytics solutions. The company provides custom, hosted, turnkey solutions for its clients using the software as a service (SaaS) delivery model. Northern Light markets its strategic research portals under the tradename SinglePoint. Typical applications for SinglePoint strategic research portals are in market research, competitive intelligence, product management, product development, and technology research. Northern Light's client base consists of global companies that typically have more than $10 billion in annual sales. Companies that have stated publicly that they use SinglePoint research portals from Northern Light include HP, Verizon, Symantec, SAP, and Cisco.
From its founding in 1996 until January 2002, Northern Light operated a Web search engine for public use. It was regarded at the time as innovative in provision of search based on classification and inclusion of both public and proprietary information resources. During this time period Northern Light also developed private custom search engines for large corporate clients marketed under the trade name SinglePoint. In 2002, after immediate public backlash against the sudden monetization of their formerly public search engine, Northern Light discontinued it. With their market value in tatters, they were easily acquired by an enterprise software company. In 2003, an employee group bought the company from its parent and it is still employee-owned as of 2010 and SinglePoint is its main product line.
In 2000, the company was the title sponsor for the IndyCar Series.
- KMWorld.com article
- Information Today: Northern Light Launches MI Analyst (May 7, 2007)
- northernlight.com: History
- O'Leary, Mick (1 February 2007). "Northern Light: better the second time around?". Information Today – via HighBeam Research (subscription required) . Retrieved 13 July 2013.
- Rosenberg, Ronald (30 June 1999). "Godsend -- and a threat Northern Light gets praise from users, criticism from publishers threatened by research-engine service". Boston Globe – via HighBeam Research (subscription required) . Retrieved 13 July 2013.
- Schoettle, Anthony (23 October 2000). "IRL in groove with Northern Light". Indianapolis Business Journal – via HighBeam Research (subscription required) . Retrieved 13 July 2013.