North West Provincial Legislature
|North West Provincial Legislature|
Sussana Rebecca Dantjie, African National Congress
Jane Manganye, African National Congress
|Party-list proportional representation|
|7 May 2014|
|3138 Lucas Mangope Hwy, Mmabatho Unit 1, Mmabatho, 2790|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
The North West Provincial Legislature is the primary legislative body of the South African province of North West. It is unicameral in its composition, and elects the premier and the provincial cabinet from among the members of the leading party or coalition in the parliament.
- To ensure public involvement and oversight actions of the Legislature.
- To mention to the National Assembly legislation regarding any matter outside the ability of the North West legislature, or where national law occurs over the provincial law.
- To supervise the undertakings of the Executive Council and other structures of state; and
- To enact or amend a constitution for the province of the North West.
- To enact legislation for the province of the North West
The Legislature, like all those in South Africa, is chosen via party list proportional representation, for terms of five years, though may be dissolved earlier under certain conditions. The most recent election was held on 7 May 2014. The following table summarises the results.
|African National Congress||733,490||67.39||23|
|Economic Freedom Fighters||143,765||13.21||5|
|Freedom Front Plus||18,746||1.72||1|