NBC Sports Gold
Type of site
|Video on demand, OTT, Live streaming|
|Predecessor(s)||Tour de France Live|
|Area served||Varies by package|
|Owner||NBC Sports Group|
|Registration||Annual passes for various sports|
|Launched||June 9, 2016|
NBC Sports Gold is a subscription over-the-top service operated by NBC Sports providing expanded access to several sports' content. The pass for each sport is sold separately. NBC Sports Gold is available on iOS, Android, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, and Roku.
On June 9, 2016, it was announced that the "NBC Sports Tour de France Live" app would be relaunched as NBC Sports Gold ahead of the 2016 edition of the race. The rebranded service would also provide live, commercial free streaming coverage of several other cycling events for which NBC Sports was the rights holder including the Vuelta A Espana and Paris-Roubaix. The service was initially priced at $29.99 for a year-long pass.
In March 2017, a separate "Rugby Pass" was announced. This pass provides live coverage of every Premiership Rugby match. The service was further expanded in April 2017 with a new "Track and Field Pass" which provided access to 25 track and field events including the Boston Marathon and Diamond League events. An additional "Pro Motocross Pass" was announced later that month providing access to every AMA Pro Motocross event. This was the first pass made available to users outside the United States.
A second season of the cycling pass was announced on June 6, 2017, with the addition of new events including the UCI Road World Championships, Colorado Classic, and Volta a Catalunya. The pass also included 30 hours of 2017 Tour de France coverage exclusive to the platform.
The platform expanded once again in June 2017 with the announcement of "Premier League Pass." Priced at $50, the pass includes 130 exclusive live Premier League matches, a minimum of three per club, as well as match replays and original programming from NBC Sports and Premier League Productions. The matches had previously been available at no additional charge to subscribers of participating cable and satellite providers as part of NBC's now defunct "Premier League Extra Time" package.
In August 2017, NBC Sports Gold introduced "Notre Dame Football Season Pass." This was the first pass made available exclusively to customers outside the United States. Among the eligible countries were the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, Spain, and Japan. The purchase price was announced as $49.99 for a full season or $9.99 per individual game.
On October 5, 2017, NBC announced an agreement to air the Six Nations Rugby Championship. As part of the agreement, all 15 matches will be available as part of the NBC Sports Gold "Rugby Pass."
December 2017 saw a regional expansion to the platform with the addition of "Blazers Pass." Blazers Pass allows viewers in NBA-designated Portland Trail Blazers territory to access 15 Trail Blazers games without a subscription to NBC Sports Northwest. The first game aired as part of the package was the Trail Blazers December 11, 2017 game against the Golden State Warriors.
In March 2018, NBC announced a rights agreement to air the Champions Cup. Under the agreement, NBC Sports Gold will air all matches from the competition as part of its Rugby pass.
In April 2018, NBC announced NBC Sports Gold would begin offering an IndyCar pass in 2019 which was announced as part of a broader rights agreement between NBC Sports and IndyCar. NBC Sports Gold will air untelevised practice and qualifying sessions, Carb Day at the Indianapolis 500, and Indy Lights races.
In May 2018, it was announced that NBC Sports Gold would create new passes for Figure Skating and Speed Skating as part of a broader agreement with US Figure Skating. The Figure Skating Pass would replace US Figure Skating's IceNetwork.com service. Figure Skating Pass will include coverage from the US Championships as well as events from the International Skating Union.
On July 31, 2018, it was announced that NBC had acquired rights to the PGA Tour's PGA Tour Live service beginning 2019, which will be moved from BAMTech control to NBC Sports Gold. This will include featured groups coverage of early rounds prior to Golf Channel television coverage, and featured holes coverage during Golf Channel's window, as well as other supplemental content.
|Name||Sport||Year Debuted||Location Available|
|Cycling Pass||Cycling||2016||United States|
|Rugby Pass||Rugby union||2017||United States|
|Track and Field Pass||Track and Field||2017||United States|
|Pro Motocross Pass||Motocross||2017||United States and select international locations|
|Premier League Pass||Soccer||2017||United States|
|Notre Dame Football Season Pass||Football||2017||Select international locations|
|Blazers Pass||Basketball||2017||NBA designated Portland Trail Blazers Territory|
|Figure Skating Pass||Figure Skating||2018||United States|
|Speed Skating Pass||Speed Skating||2018||United States|
|IndyCar Pass||Auto Racing||2019||United States|
|PGA Tour Live||Golf||2019||United States|
The creation of "Premier League Pass" was met with disappointment in the soccer community, with prominent soccer website World Soccer Talk describing it as "a giant step backward." The website further noted that the move was particularly harmful to fans of league's smaller clubs. The package was also criticized for not going far enough with 250 Premier League matches remaining exclusive to cable.
NBC Sports Gold suffered serious outages on September 23, 2017, during a set of matches which included Manchester United against Southampton. The matches were moved to the NBC Sports App amid complaints on social media. NBC apologized for the outage, and offered refunds or credit to those affected.
- "“NBC SPORTS LIVE EXTRA” TO BE RE-BRANDED AS THE NBC SPORTS APP", NBC Sports Group Pressbox
- "NBC Sports Gold Provides Fans With ‘Rugby Pass’" sportsvideo.org
- "Are NBC’s over-the-top packages, including the new $70 track one, a vision of the future?" Awful Announcing
- "DIRECT-TO-CONSUMER LIVE STREAMING PRODUCT NBC SPORTS GOLD INTRODUCES “PRO MOTOCROSS PASS” WITH ACCESS TO ENTIRE LUCAS OIL PRO MOTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON" NBC Sports Group Pressbox
- "NBC Sports Gold adds 15 races to streaming service", "Velo News"
- "NBC Sports Gold Launches 2017-18 'Cycling Pass' Including Coverage of TOUR DE FRANCE", "broadwayworld.com"
- , "multichannel.com"
- "NBC to launch paid subscription English Premier League soccer streaming service"
- "NBC Sports to Launch Internationally-Targeted Notre Dame College Football OTT Package" "multichannel.com"
- "NBC Sports Group Acquires U.S. Rights to Six Nations Rugby Championship" "Broadcasting & Cable"
- "NBC Sports “Blazers Pass” Lets Viewers Stream Trail Blazers Games Inside the Blackout Area" "Blazers Edge"
- "NBC Acquires Champions Cup Rights" "This Is American Rugby"
- "U.S. Figure Skating Moving OTT Offerings To NBC Sports Gold" "Sports Business Daily"
- "INDYCAR signs multiyear media rights package with NBC Sports Group " IndyCar.com
- Spangler, Todd (2018-07-31). "NBC Sports, PGA Tour Ink Three-Year Deal for Live-Streaming Golf Subscription Package (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- "Premier League Pass marks a giant step backward for NBC’s coverage of EPL" "World Soccer Talk"
- "NBC Sports: Premier League Pass needs to feature all 380 games to be relevant", "World Soccer Talk"
- "NBC Sports Gold subscribers receive apology after Premier League Pass outages" "World Soccer Talk"