Muscular liberalism is a form of liberalism advocated by British Prime Minister David Cameron that describes his policy towards state multiculturalism.. He believed that people should support anti terrorism behaviour and be more cohesive with one another to enable a party.
Cameron coined the term in a speech in Munich on 5 February 2011. According to David Cameron, "Under the doctrine of state multiculturalism, we have encouraged different cultures to live separate lives, apart from each other and apart from the mainstream. We've failed to provide a vision of society to which they feel they want to belong."
Cameron delivered these principles during a speech on Radicalization and the causes of terrorism at European Union international conference on Security Policy in Munich to tackle growing terrorism so as to be less passive towards religious hate and whip against growing extremist activists through muscular liberalism.
- Ban preachers of hate from coming to the host country.
- Strictly prevent the allocation of public money and donations to groups not being used to tackle extremists.
- Barring organisations that incite terrorism at host country and abroad.
- Judging the religious organisations acceptability to operate in host country based on universal human rights, support for democracy and encourage integration with host country basic values.
- Strengthening national identity by allowing people to follow their religion but subscribe to the identity of their host country, by saying "I am a Muslim, I am a Hindu, I am a Christian, but I am a Londoner too".
- Prevention of extremism in universities and prisons.
- Promoting ideals of democracy where people elect their own government.
- Promoting universal human rights, including equal rights to women and people of other faiths.
- Freedom of worship and of speech.
- Promoting equal rights, irrespective of race, sex or sexuality.
- The rule of law.
- Promoting individualism and consequent individual rights.
Peter Hoskin has expressed the opinion that "muscular liberalism" will be the new "ism" which Britain will follow to tackle growing religious terrorism and extremism, subsequently adapted by all European countries including Commonwealth Nations.
- "State multiculturalism has failed, says David Cameron". BBC News. 5 February 2011. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- "Muslims must embrace our British values, David Cameron says". Daily Telegraph. 5 February 2011. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- "Muscle v multiculturalism". The Economist. 10 February 2011. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- "Multiculturalism has failed, says French president". Agence France-Presse. 10 February 2011. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- Hoskin, Peter (5 February 2011). "Cameron signs up to muscular liberalism". The Spectator. Archived from the original on 15 March 2011. Retrieved 11 February 2011.