|Attorney General for India|
19 June 2014 – 18 June 2017
(President of India)
|Preceded by||Goolam Essaji Vahanvati|
|Succeeded by||K K Venugopal|
|Alma mater||Government Law College, Mumbai|
Mukul Rohatgi is a designated senior counsel, and was the 14th Attorney General for India. He was succeeded by K. K. Venugopal. He had a tenure of three years as Attorney General, from June 19, 2014 to June 18, 2017. He is a senior advocate at the Supreme Court of India. He has also served earlier as Additional Solicitor General of India.
Rohatgi, son of former Delhi High Court judge Justice Awadh Behari Rohatgi, has represented Gujarat government in the Supreme Court in the 2002 Gujarat riots and fake encounter death cases, including the Best Bakery and Zahira Sheikh cases.
Rohatagi completed his studies of law from Government Law College, Mumbai.
After graduating in law, he started practice under Yogesh Kumar Sabharwal, who later became 36th Chief Justice of India. He started working with him in the High Court and later started his own legal practice. He was designated as a senior counsel by the Delhi High Court on 3 June 1993. In 1999, he was appointed as Additional Solicitor General of India for the Vajpayee government, an appointment that saw him shift base to the Supreme Court.
- "K K Venugopal assumes charge as Attorney General". The Economic Times. 2017-07-03. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- "LIST OF LAW OFFICERS". Ministry of Law and Justice. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "List of Law Officers of Government of India". Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi is new Attorney General". Zee News. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- Singh, Gyanant. "Meet India's supermen in black: When people like Robert Vadra get into trouble, only a handful of lawyers are called to bail them out". India Today. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- "List of designated Senior Advocates, Delhi High Court" (PDF). Delhi High Court. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Mahapatra, Dhananjay (9 January 2010). "India's top 10 lawyers". Times of India. Retrieved 1 February 2015.