Modern English Version
|Modern English Version|
|Full name||Modern English Version|
|Authorship||James F. Linzey (chief editor)|
|Derived from||King James Version|
NT: Textus Receptus |
OT: Jacob ben Hayyim Masoretic Text
|Translation type||Formal equivalence|
|Publisher||Passio (Charisma House)|
|Copyright||2014 Military Bible Association|
The Modern English Version (MEV) is an English translation of the Bible begun in 2005 and completed in 2014. The work was edited by James F. Linzey, and is an update of the King James Version (KJV), re-translated from the Masoretic Text and the Textus Receptus. The ecumenical Committee on Bible Translation is composed of 47 American and English scholars from the three major branches of Christendom: Orthodox, Protestant, and Roman Catholic.
In June 2005, Southern Baptist minister, chief editor, and executive director Rev. James F. Linzey assembled and directed the Committee on Bible Translation, which included Stanley M. Horton serving as the senior editorial advisor. The Committee produced an updated edition of the KJV called the MEV, which is the KJV in a more modern English vernacular. The translators began the work on June 2, 2005; they completed the New Testament on October 25, 2011, and the Old Testament on May 28, 2014.
Committee members include Eugene C. Ulrich, Stephen L. Herring, Eric Mitchell, Edward W. Watson, and T.J. Betts. The scholars working on the translation represent many academic institutions as professors or graduates, including Fuller Theological Seminary, Geneva College, Harvard University, Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, University of Notre Dame, Yale University, and others; and they represent many churches across a wide range of denominations, including the Church of England, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, General Council of the Assemblies of God, Presbyterian Church of America, Southern Baptist Convention, and others.
- "Modern English Version Bible Information". BibleGateway.com.
- Deonne Lindsay (June 10, 2014). "Building on the King James Tradition". Christian Retailing.
- "SAGU Alumna Assists Translation of the Modern English Version Bible". Southwestern Assemblies of God University. September 4, 2014.
- "Enid Resident Helped Translate for Modern English Bible". Enid News & Eagle. October 11, 2014.
- "Preface," MEV Thinline Reference Bible, Modern English Version, (p. xi) 2014. Passio
- "National Bible Day Celebration at Westminster Seminary California Features Bible Translated by Military Chaplains". The Aquila Report. November 19, 2011.
- "SAGU Alumna Assists Translation of the Modern English Version Bible". Waxahachie Daily Light. September 12, 2014.