|Parent company||Poste italiane|
|Key people||Bud Spencer, Founder|
Mistral Air is an Italian cargo and former passenger airline headquartered in Rome and is a subsidiary of Poste italiane. It maintains bases at Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport and Bologna Guglielmo Marconi Airport and also used to serve domestic scheduled and international charter passenger services which it ceased in mid 2018.
Mistral Air was established in 1981 by actor and former swimmer Bud Spencer and started operations in 1984.
It was wholly owned by TNT N.V. until March 2002 when TNT sold a 75% stake to Poste Italiane. The airline has also been contracted by the Holy See of the Vatican to fly Pilgrims to holy sites such as Lourdes, Fátima, Santiago de Compostela, Medjugorje across Mostar, Palestine (Holy Land), Poland and Mexico. The first flight went from Rome to Lourdes on 27 August 2007 transporting the vicar of Rome, Cardinal Camillo Ruini.
In May 2018, owner Poste Italiane announced that Mistral Air will cease all scheduled and charter passenger flights to focus on cargo operations from now on. The airline has been loss-making for years and recently lost a PSO contract for Italian domestic services as well.
As of August 2018, Mistral Air no longer serves any scheduled routes. The remaining destinations served where Cagliari, Catania, Naples, Palermo and Pescara in Italy as well as Tirana in Albania which all ceased by August 2018. Currently, there are also no more wetlease agreements or charter destinations served.
As of January 2017, Mistral Air had codeshare agreements for passenger services with following airlines:
- "Airline and Airport Code Search". IATA. Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- "Elenco delle imprese titolari di licenza di trasporto aereo". Italian Civil Aviation Authority. 2016-06-03. Archived from the original on 2015-04-22. Retrieved 2017-06-13.
- "Mistral Air - Contatti". Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- "Directory: World Airlines". Flight International. 2007-04-10. p. 51.
- Willey, David (2007-08-27). "Vatican flight service launches". BBC News. Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- mistralair.it - Booking retrieved 24 July 2018
- mistralair.it - Fleet retrieved 24 July 2018
- "Global Airline Guide 2016 (Part One)". Airliner World (October 2016): 18.