Shildt in 2018
|St. Louis Cardinals – No. 8|
|Coach / Manager|
|Born:August 9, 1968|
Mike Shildt (born August 9, 1968) is an American baseball manager for the St. Louis Cardinals of Major League Baseball. Shildt became the manager of the Johnson City Cardinals, the Cardinals Short Season A affiliate, in 2009, along with his scouting duties. He was promoted as manager of the Cardinals AA affiliate, the Springfield Cardinals, in 2011. He joined the major league coaching staff in 2017 and became manager in 2018 after the firing of Mike Matheny. On July 15, 2018 he collected his first managerial win in a 6-4 victory over the Cincinnati Reds.
Born in Charlotte, North Carolina, Shildt played college baseball for University of North Carolina (UNC) Asheville Bulldogs. After his playing career ended as he "couldn't hit a curve ball", Shildt became a coach at West Charlotte High School, his high-school alma mater. After leaving the high school, Shildt was hired by the UNC Charlotte to become an assistant coach for the UNC Charlotte 49ers baseball team. He held the position for five years. During the off-season he owned a baseball training facility in North Carolina, becoming a full-time baseball instructor to area youths.
St. Louis Cardinals system
Shildt started his Major League Baseball career as an associate scout with the league for three seasons. He moved on to the Cardinals organization, working as the area scout for North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. On a recommendation from future Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak, Shildt began his minor league coaching career as a part-time coach. Shildt was sent to the Cardinals' Single-A affiliate in the New York–Penn League. He was a part-time coach during 2004 and 2005, while continuing his scouting duties. He was promoted to a full-time coaching position in 2006, and kept coaching with the single A affiliate until the 2007 season. In 2008, Shildt coordinated the Cardinals' minor league spring training workout camp. Afterwards he became the hitting coach for the Johnson City Cardinals for the 2008 season.
Shildt was promoted to manage Johnson City in 2009, where he finished with a 37–30 record. In his second season, Johnson City posted a 42–24 win-loss record, and after defeating its two playoff opponents, won the Appalachian League championship. For his effort, Shildt was named St. Louis Cardinals Minor League Manager of the Year by Scout.com. He was also named the Appalachian League Manager of the Year. Among the players he helped improve during the season include Appalachian League's Pitcher of the Year Ryan Copeland, and batting average champion Phil Cerreto. After Johnson City's season ended, Shildt was invited to spend some time on the St. Louis Cardinals roster in order to gain experience. After the season, Shildt was awarded the Appalachian League Manager of the Year award, and the George Kissell Award for his "excellence in player development" by the St. Louis Cardinals organization.
Mike went on to manage the Springfield Cardinals (AA) for three seasons. Shildt guided Springfield to its first Texas League Championship before being recognized as Baseball America's Team of the Year in 2012.
Following two seasons as the manager for the Memphis Redbirds (AAA) Mike was again promoted in 2017, this time to the MLB team, as the quality control coach. After a rough start to the 2017 season, third base coach Chris Maloney was reassigned in the organization, and Shildt became the full-time Cardinals third base coach for the rest of the 2017 season. When José Oquendo was brought back for the 2018 season to be the St. Louis Cardinals third base coach, Shildt became the team’s bench coach for the 2018 season. On July 14, 2018, Shildt was made interim manager of the Cardinals following the firing of Mike Matheny. Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweeted on August 28, 2018 that the team would remove the interim tag from Shildt's title and name him the club's permanent manager, awarding him a 3 year contract.
- As of games played on August 31, 2018.
|Team||From||To||Regular season record||Post–season record|
|W||L||Win %||G||W||L||Win %|
|St. Louis Cardinals||2018||29||13||.690||0||0||0||–|
- "Bob Nightengale on Twitter".
- Walton, Brian (21 August 2007). "Who is Mike Shildt & Why StL Fans Should Care". Scout.com. Fox Sports. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- "FOCUS ON". Charlotte Observer. 1 August 1996. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- Kerrick, Shawn (17 June 2008). "Johnson City Cardinals 2008 Preseason Report". TheCardinalNation.com. Fox Sports. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- "2009 Johnson City Cardinals season". Baseball Reference. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- Walton, Brian (5 November 2010). "The Cardinal Nation minor league Manager of the Year". Cardinalnation.com. Fox Sports. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- Walton, Brian (13 March 2011). "Mike Shildt Wins Cards George' Kissell Award". Cardinalnation.com. Fox Sports. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- Avento, Joe. "Cards keep winning big under Shildt". timesnews.net. Kingsport Publishing Corporation. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- "Cardinals name Mike Shildt bench coach, Jose Oquendo third base coach". 23 October 2017.
- "Cardinals (47-46) ax Matheny in seventh season".
- "Bob Nightengale on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-08-28.
- Goold, Derrick. "Cardinals set to drop interim tag, make Shildt manager". stltoday.com. Retrieved 2018-08-28.
- "Mike Shildt". Baseball Reference. Sports Reference. Retrieved August 21, 2018.