Computer Software |
Platform as a Service
Derek Roos, CEO |
Marcel Karssen, CFO
Johan den Haan, CTO
Number of employees
|Approximately 400 (2018)|
Mendix is a low-code software platform. It provides tools to build, test, deploy and iterate applications. The company was founded in 2005.
On 1 August 2018 company's CEO announced the acquisition of Mendix by Siemens for €600 million in cash.
The company was founded in Rotterdam, the Netherlands in 2005 and moved its headquarters to the United States in early 2012.
In October 2011, Mendix raised $13 million with its first round of venture capital funding. The funding was led by Prime Ventures, with additional participation from HENQ Invest, which provided an unnamed sum in 2006.
In January 2014, Mendix closed a $25 million Series B, led by Battery Ventures. The company also reported triple-digit growth for the fifth consecutive year. Also in 2014, Mendix accelerated plans associated with its partner ecosystem. The company announced 20 new partners worldwide, including Bodhtree, UST Global, Pegamento, and Pariveda Solutions. This list complements the company's existing partner network, including Accenture and Capgemini, among others. Subsequent partner additions included Mphasis, Blue Box, Sogeti, HP and Pivotal.
Mendix has also announced its membership in the Cloud Foundry Foundation. The company plans to help evolve the open source standard as well as integrate Cloud Foundry's Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) framework with its rapid app platform-as-a-service (aPaaS).
Mendix has received a number of mentions, most recently from Forbes – listing Mendix as one of the top ten companies disrupting industries through technology – and from Always On Network – including Mendix within the top 100 OnMobile Private Companies.
The Mendix application platform is based on visual, model-driven software development.
At the request of Mendix, QSM Research made an independent benchmark of the product as compared with the average of software projects in the QSM industry database. According to this report, Mendix required smaller teams and shorter projects, and reduced development effort with respect to the average.
The company offers a free software community edition of the Mendix application development tools. The company simultaneously announced their new cloud ecosystem for teams, business analysts and other partners.
The Mendix App Store also offers new widgets to access native device functions, such as contacts, camera, geolocation and bar code scanner. The company also released the Mendix Developer App to test mobile apps. With it, developers can scan a QR code to pair their target devices with their development environments to test native device functionality.
In December 2014, Mendix was cited as a "Leader" in the Forrester Wave: Enterprise Public Cloud Platforms for Rapid Developers, Q4 2014 report. Gartner also listed Mendix as a Visionary within its 2015 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Application Platforms as a Service.
It has been reported that the Mendix low-code application platform will be integrated into MindSphere, following its acquisition by Siemens.
- Leena Rao, "Mendix Helps Enterprises Streamline Application Deployment," TechCrunch, April 2009
- Christopher Calnan, "Dutch software firm Mendix set to move to Cambridge Archived 2011-11-03 at the Wayback Machine.," Mass High Tech, December 2007
- Sean Ludwig, "Mendix grabs $13M to fuel fast enterprise app development," VentureBeat, October 2011
- Natasha Lomas, "Mendix, An App-Builder Platform For The Enterprise, Closes $25M Series B Led By Battery Ventures," TechCrunch, January 2014
- , "Mendix Announces Expanded Partner Program, Strong Ecosystem Growth," Reuters, July 2014
- , "Mphasis Partners with Mendix to Rapidly Turn Industry Knowledge into Innovative Solutions," Yahoo! Finance, September 2014
- , "Blue Box Brings Rapid Application Development to Enterprise Cloud Foundry and OpenStack Deployments with Mendix," Yahoo! Finance, December 2014
- Jess Lulka, "Sogeti Partners with Mendix for Cloud Application Delivery," Desktop Engineering, October 2014
- Darryl K. Taft, "Mendix Teams with HP for No-Code Development on Helion," eWeek, December 2014
- Ben Kepes, "Mendix and Pivotal Partner To Enable Easier Development," Forbes, April 2015
- , "Mendix Joins New Cloud Foundry Foundation for Open PaaS," Yahoo! Finance, December 2014
- Larry Myler, ""Ten Companies That Are Disrupting Their Industries Through Technology". Archived from the original on 2014-10-03. Retrieved 2017-06-09." Forbes, October 2014
- ""The 2014 OnMobile 100 Top Private Companies". Archived from the original on 2015-02-17. Retrieved 2015-04-22.," AlwaysOn, November 2014
- GSM Mendix benchmark report
- , "Mendix delivers figures to show it's 6 times faster for application development," Cloud Computing Intelligence, November 2014
- Sara Castellanos, "Mendix launches free business app development software for startups, small teams," The Boston Business Journal, April 2014 Archived 2015-04-26 at the Wayback Machine.
- Ian Barker, "New platform speeds up development of multi-platform enterprise apps," Betanews, October 2014
- David Ramel, "Mendix App Platform Integrates with PhoneGap for Cross-Platform Mobile Development," ADT Mag, October 2014
- Reuters, "Mendix Named a Leader Among Enterprise Public Cloud Platforms for Rapid Developers by Independent Research Firm," Reuters, December 2014
- Reuters, "Mendix Named a Visionary in Gartner 2015 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Application Platform as a Service, Worldwide," Reuters, April 2015
- "Mendix Announces Global Reseller Agreement with SAP, Providing Enterprises Low-Code Development for Building Enterprise Apps at Speed and Scale". Mendix. 2017-09-26. Retrieved 2017-11-12.