|Launched||20 November 1989 15:00|
|Picture format||16:9 (576i, SDTV)|
|Audience share||7.6% (21/05/2018 - 27/05/2018, AGB)|
|Digea||Channel 2, 11|
|NOVA Greece||Channel 105|
|Cosmote TV||Channel 106|
|Cosmote TV||Channel 5|
|Live streaming||Official Web TV|
Mega Channel, also known as Mega TV or just Mega, is a television network in Greece, that broadcasts a mix of foreign and Greek programming. Teletipos S.A. was founded in 1989 under the name Teletype Television Programmes S.A. and the trade name MEGA CHANNEL. It was the first private television station in Greece, launched on air on November 20, 1989.
Mega's programming consists mainly of Greek programmes such as comedies, dramas, news, current affairs and entertainment shows. Some of its hit series include popular comedies such as Sto Para Pente and Savatogenimmenes.
Mega Channel studios are located on Mesogeion Avenue in Athens. It was previously located in the town of Paiania. As of 29 May 2017, Teletipos S.A., is listed on the Athens Exchange (Athex: TELET); since 8 March 2016, it has been in the Under Suspension market segment of the stock exchange. It has been listed on this stock exchange since 1994.
Current programing for the 2014-2015 broadcasting season include: (As of October 2014)
News and information
- Anatropi (Backfall) - Current affairs talk show with focus on political issues, now in its 14th year, hosted by Giannis Pretenteris. Airs Mondays at 23:30.
- Koinonia Ora MEGA (Community Time MEGA) - A revamped version of its predecessor (Koinonia Ora 8). Current affairs show that examines the issues affecting everyday people in Greece and abroad. Features discussion with in-studio guests. The show is hosted by Giorgos Oikonomeas and Dimitris Kampourakis. Airs Monday - Friday at 07:00.
- Mega Gegonota (Mega events) - Daily newscast in Greek featuring news from Greece and around the world. Airs daily 14:00 & 20:00 (20:00 newscast hosted by Olga Tremi on weekdays and Nikos Stravelakis on weekends) with updates at 16:50 and 01:15.
- Mega Savvatokiriako (Mega Weekend) - Morning show for the Weekend. It features news, sports highlights, current affairs and more. Hosted by Iordanis Hasapopoulos and Μanolis Anagnostakis. Airs Saturdays & Sundays at 07:00.
- Dikaiosi (Vindication) - drama series which lasted one season, from October 2014 until July 2015.
- Ethniki Ellados (Greek national) - comedy by Giorgos Kapoutzidis in its first season, coming January 2015.
- Kato Partali - comedy series returning for its second season in January 2015.
- Klemmena Oneira (Stolen Dreams) - soap opera returning for its fourth season in December 2014.
- Paidiki Hara (Playground) - Greek soap opera-comedy, with 26 episodes (2009-2010) (Kostas Koklas, Renia Louizidou, Giorgos Alevizakis, Giannis Kyrikos and Vasilis Galaios).
- Sagapo magapas (I love you, you love me) - Greek comedy by Dimitra Papadopoulou and Thodoris Atheridis (2000-2001 and 2001-2002).
- Sto para pente - comedy by Giorgos Kapoutzidis (2005-2006 and 2006-2007).
- Peninta-Peninta (Fifty-fifty) - comedy with three seasons (2005-2006, 2006-2007 and 2010-2011) (Petros Filipidis, Pavlos Haikalis, Sakis Boulas, Ava Galanopoulou, Vana Rambota and Maria Androutsou).
- Mana X Ouranou (Supermom) - comedy in its first season, coming October 2014.
- Moderna Ikogeneia an adaptation of the American series Modern Family, returning for its second season in October 2014.
- Oneiro Itan (It was a Dream) - Greek Cypriot soap opera in its first season; first premiered on former sister-channel TVOne Cyprus.
- I ntanta (The nanny) - Greek comedy with two seasons (2003-2004 and 2004-2005) (Maria Lekaki).
- Deka lepta kirigma (Ten minute preaching) - Greek comedy (3,5 seasons (October 2000-December 2004)) (Sakis Boulas, Karmen Rouggeri, Arietta Moutousi and Dimitris Kouroubalis).
- I Polykatoikia (The Block of Flats) - Greek comedy with 3 seasons (6 October 2008-27 May 2011) (Pavlos Haikalis).
- Celebrity Game Night - game show based on the American Hollywood Game Night and hosted by Smaragda Karydi; returning for its season in November 2014.
- Eeeee - hybrid talk show hosted by Christos Anthopoulos, coming in November 2014.
- Istories Apo Tin Lista (Stories from the List) - culinary show hosted by Akis Petretzikis that travels around Greece showcasing food and culture, coming in November 2014.
- Kan' to Opos O Akis (Do it like Akis) - daily cooking show hosted by MasterChef Greece season 1 winner Akis Petretzikis, coming in November 2014.
- The Music School - Children's talent show based on the Israeli format of the same name. Premiering in October 2014 for its first season; hosted by Ntoretta Papadimitriou and featuring mentors Demy, Evridiki, Giorgos Theofanous and Vaggelis Germanos.
- from 2000 until 2002: Ραντεβού στο Mega (Meet on Mega)
- from 2002 until 2004: Όλοι Mega (Everybody Mega)
- 2004/2005 season: I love TV
- from 2005 until September 2009: Megalicious
- September 2009 - February 2010 season: Tο Mega είναι 20 (Mega is 20)
- February 2010 - 23 October 2014: Mega mou (My Mega)
- 23 October 2014/Present: Mega Mega
- August 2016/Present (unofficial): Με την άδειά σας, συνεχίζουμε (With your permission, we continue)
Logo and copyrights
From 2005, many clips aired, all with the slogan "Megalicious". In 2005-2007 were in-studio and from 2007 are live action. The previous Mega logo consisted of the text 'MEGA', with 'ME' widened to the left and 'GA' widened to the right. "Meg" and "Ega" (a computer-generated imagery cat and a dog respectively) which appear frequently in the TV station's idents, especially at Christmas, Easter or summer, can be considered the mascots of the station. The old Mega logo consisted of 10 or 12 multicoloured lines, with MEGA in the middle and sometimes channel located at the bottom. The colours started from yellow, golden yellow, gold, mandarin, slightly orange (on either side), orange-rose, orange-pink, rose and pink.
MEGA Cosmos is the international network of Mega Channel that broadcasts the 'best of Mega' programming to Greeks abroad in North America, South America, Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. It was first launched as Mega Channel Australia and then rebranded to Mega Cosmos using a common feed for Australia and the US.
The main channel first started broadcasting in Australia in 2000 but was taken off the air sometime later due to contractual problems. In late 2005, MEGA Cosmos returned to Australia thanks to a new deal signed with UBI World TV, a satellite platform that broadcast mainly foreign programming. In June 2012, UBI World TV ceased operations resulting in MEGA Cosmos again being temporarily unavailable. As of January 2013, the channel is now available via Ellas TV.
MEGA Cosmos originally launched in Canada in November 2001 via Odyssey Television Network but a contractual dispute in the summer of 2003 resulted in the removal of MEGA Cosmos programming from the Canadian airwaves. After a 4-year absence, a deal was struck with Ethnic Channels Group in 2007 to bring the channel back to Canada. In June 2012, Ethnic Group lost the programming rights to the service and MEGA Cosmos Canada was subsequently shut down. The channel re-launched a short while later under a new agreement with Odyssey TV.
MEGA Cosmos launched in the USA in late 2000 on the Dish Network platform. On December 1, 2006 MEGA Cosmos moved from Dish Network to DirecTV, due to a contractual dispute. On April 1, 2011 MEGA Cosmos moved, this time to the Home2US platform, due to a lack of subscribers on DirecTV. On December 5, 2012, MEGA Cosmos returned to Dish Network, after a 12-year absence. As of January 2013 the channel also became available on Ellas tv platform(IPTV).
- Alter Ego Media Group S.A. (22,11%)
- Elenovo Ltd. (19,63%)
- Pegasus Publications S.A. (13,09%)
- HSBC Private Bank (Suisse) S.A. (4,88%)
- GS Bank (4,80%)
- Moongold Investments Limited (3,32%)
- Baltazzi Investments Limited (3,26%)
- Goodlass Investments Limited (3,26%)
- Opalton Investments Limited (3,26%)
- Benbay Limited (3,19%)
- Saran Holdings S.A. SPF (2,81%)
- Prime Applications S.A. (2,68%)
- Other shareholders (13,71%)
- Teletypos Cyprus Ltd: 100% subsidiary (main business mainly in the purchase and sale of programmes, know-how etc. in the markets of Cyprus and the Middle East)
- LOGOS Informational and Cultural Company, Cyprus: owning 25%
- NETMED NV, Dutch cable television company: 12,5%
- "Mega TV". Mega TV. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Stocks: TELET - Company name: TELETIPOS S.A." helex.gr. 29 May 2017. Retrieved 29 May 2017.
- "mega channel christmas ident 2003, meg and ega 2". YouTube. 2007-09-15. Retrieved 2011-05-12.
- Official site (in Greek)
- Profile of TELETIPOS S.A. on the website of the Athens Stock Exchange
- Mega Cosmos (in Greek)