Marymount California University
Entrance to the campus
|Motto||Tua Luce Dirige|
Motto in English
|Direct Us by Thy Light|
|Type||Private liberal arts college|
Roman Catholic |
(Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary)
|Location||Rancho Palos Verdes, California, USA|
|Campus||Suburban, 26 acres (11 ha)|
|Athletics||NAIA – Cal-Pac|
Marymount California University is a Catholic, coeducational university in Rancho Palos Verdes, California. Based in the liberal arts tradition and inspired by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary (RHSM), the university awards associate, bachelor's, and graduate degrees. The institution is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Marymount California University was established in 1968 by the RHSM as Marymount Palos Verdes College. It was split from the original Marymount College in Westwood, Los Angeles; this Marymount later merged with St. Joseph's College and then Loyola University to form Loyola Marymount University. At the time, the college was a two-year institution of higher education. In 1975, responsibility for the College was transferred to a lay board of trustees. In 1986, the college changed its name from Marymount Palos Verdes College to Marymount College. In summer 2011, Marymount opened its Waterfront Campus in downtown San Pedro, Los Angeles. In spring 2013, Marymount changed its name from Marymount College to Marymount California University to reflect “an ongoing transformation of the 45-year-old institution of higher education to a multi-campus institution offering undergraduate and graduate degree programs.” In fall 2013, Marymount opened its Lakeside Campus in the community of Lucerne in rural Lake County, in Northern California.
In February 2018, the university appointed trustee Brian Marcotte its new president. It was not immediately clear why the previous president, Lucas Lamadrid, left the position although the local newspaper Daily Breeze reported "allegations of inappropriate behavior, exorbitant spending and discriminatory conduct."
The Oceanview Campus encompasses 26-acres overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island in Rancho Palos Verdes.
The Waterfront Campus encompasses the first floor of the former Northrop Grumman facility at 222 W. Sixth St., and provides classroom and studio space for upper division students, as well as some office space for faculty and staff.
Residential Community include The Villas located in adjacent San Pedro, a community of fully furnished, two-story townhomes that can accommodate 400 students and staff. In the center of the community is a swimming pool, fitness center, outdoor covered pavillion, beach volleyball court, basketball court and a soon to be completed outdoor kitchen.
Marymount California University is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission. Marymount California University offers the following undergraduate degree programs:
- Associate in Arts
- Associate in Science
- Bachelor of Arts in Business
- Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts
- Bachelor of Arts in Media Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Community Psychology
- Master of Science in Leadership and Global Development
- ACCU Member Institutions Archived 2014-07-14 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Academic Program Information - Marymount California University". Marymountcalifornia.edu. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Marymount California University - WASC Senior College and University Commission". Wascsenior.org. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Quick Facts - Marymount California University". Marymountcalifornia.edu. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-04-07. Retrieved 2013-04-08.
- Valerie Osier (February 5, 2018). "Marymount California University president MIA amid allegations of inappropriate behavior". Daily Breeze. Retrieved February 12, 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-04-02. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-04-03. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "Campus Shuttle and Transportation - Marymount California University". Marymountcalifornia.edu. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Marymount California University - The Princeton Review College Rankings & Reviews". Princetonreview.com. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "About the Cal Pac". California Pacific Conference. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Marymount California University Athletics". Marinerathletics.com. Retrieved 13 August 2018.