Madden NFL 19
|Madden NFL 19|
|Release||August 10, 2018|
Madden NFL 19 is an American football sports video game based on the National Football League (NFL), developed and published by EA Sports. Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown is the cover athlete of the standard edition of the game, while Pro Football Hall of Fame wide receiver Terrell Owens is on the cover of the "Hall of Fame" version, featured in a Dallas Cowboys uniform. An installment in the long-running Madden NFL series, the game was released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on August 10, 2018. It received generally favorable reception from critics, with praise directed towards the updated running and catching mechanics.
In May 2018, Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee Terrell Owens was announced to be on the cover of the "Hall of Fame" edition of the game. Owens is featured in a Dallas Cowboys uniform, a move which was questioned by some as Owens was drafted by and played eight seasons with the San Francisco 49ers, compared to just three with the Cowboys. The game's standard edition cover features Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown. The soundtrack for the game will feature over 30 tracks, including artists such as Migos, Pusha T, Post Malone, Cardi B, Nicki Minaj, Flatbush Zombies, 2 Chainz, and Lil Yachty, among an original score by John Debney. EA also announced they would add several more tracks to the game over the course of the 2018 NFL season.
Madden NFL 19 features "real player motions," allowing players to push blockers to gain more yards while running and make realistic cuts up-field after the catch, as well as take part in interactive touchdown celebrations for the first time since Madden NFL 09 including team celebrations, which were made legal by the NFL for the 2017 season. There were also changes to the Ultimate Team mode, introducing three vs three online matchups as well as a "Solo Battles" game mode, a leaderboard-driven reward system that measures players' performances in daily single-player challenges. The game will also feature a sequel to Longshot, Madden NFL 18's single-player story-driven mode, with more focus on football gameplay and NFL-related events.
The game was released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Microsoft Windows on August 10, 2018, with the Windows release being the first for the series since Madden NFL 08 in 2007. A "Hall of Fame Edition" was released on August 7 for subscribers of the EA Access program.
In a review for IGN, Dustin Toms wrote: "Madden 19 has finally cracked that slightly repetitive feel that can make it tough to go on, game after game. With Real Player Motion delivering a fluid on-the-field experience, and Franchise mode customization offering another level of realism, Madden is in a great place." Bradley Russell of GamesRadar+ praised the updated catching and running mechanics as well as the Longshot: Homecoming mode, calling the game a "stunning return to form" for the series, and one of the "finest" in years.
Prior to its release, the game was criticized for censoring quarterback Colin Kaepernick's name from the song "Big Bank", which appears on the soundtrack. The verse came from Big Sean, who called the action "disappointing and appalling". EA responded to the criticism by saying that it was a mistake by members of their team who misunderstood the fact that just because they did not have rights to include Kaepernick's likeness in the game as a player because he is no longer in the NFL Players Association, however it does not apply to him being mentioned elsewhere. Before the game was released, EA released an update to restore his name in the song.
During a livestreamed tournament event for the game on August 26, 2018, a shooting occurred at the Jacksonville Landing in Jacksonville, Florida. It resulted in numerous injuries and two deaths, as well as the suicide of the shooter, who had participated in the tournament but had lost earlier in the day.
- Brian Mazique (May 8, 2018). "'Madden 19' Tracker: Release Date, Trailer, Cover Athlete, Ultimate Team, Story, Franchise Features". Forbes. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Khan, Asif. "Madden NFL 19 Producer Ben Haumiller Talks PC, Switch, MUT, Franchise, & Browns' Overall Rating". ShackNews. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- Will Brinson (May 25, 2018). "LOOK: Terrell Owens on Madden cover in Cowboys uni, first look at 49ers' Richard Sherman". CBS Sports. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Fowler, Jeremy. "Steelers receiver Antonio Brown featured on Madden cover". ESPN. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Lock In with the Madden NFL 19 Soundtrack". EA Sports. July 25, 2018. Retrieved July 25, 2018.
- Stefanie Fogel (May 25, 2018). "'Madden 19' Officially Announced, Gets Xbox One/PlayStation 4 Launch Date". Variety. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Good, Owen. "Madden NFL's Longshot comes back with a more intense sequel". Polygon. Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- Good, Owen. "Madden NFL 19 returns to PC this August". Polygon. Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- Good, Owen. "Madden's latest trailer promises greater realism for video game football". Polygon. Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- Orry, Tom. "Madden 19 Release Date, PC Specs, Cover Star, New Depth Chart Positions, Franchise Mode, Early Access - Everything we Know". US Gamer. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "Madden 19 for Xbox One Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved August 16, 2018.
- "Madden 19 for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved August 20, 2018.
- "Madden 19 for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved August 21, 2018.
- Goriff, Michael (August 9, 2018). "Madden NFL 19 review". EGMNow. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- Kato, Matthew (August 1, 2018). "Madden NFL 19: The Ups And Downs Of Another Gripping Season". Game Informer. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- Makuch, Eddie (August 12, 2018). "Madden NFL 19 Review". GameSpot. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- Russell, Bradley (August 1, 2018). "MADDEN 19 REVIEW: "EFFORTLESSLY MAKES ITS WAY ONTO THE SERIES' MOUNT RUSHMORE"". GamesRadar. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- Toms, Dustin (August 1, 2019). "Madden NFL 19 Review". IGN. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- Winkie, Luke (August 1, 2019). "Madden NFL 19 Review". PC Gamer. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- "Big Sean's Colin Kaepernick Lyric Censored in "Madden NFL 19"". Pitchfork. August 2, 2018. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- Schilken, Chuck. "EA Sports apologizes for editing Colin Kaepernick's name out of a song on 'Madden NFL 19'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- Rollins, Khadrice. "EA Sports Adds Colin Kaepernick's Name Back on Madden 19 Soundtrack After Originally Editing it Out". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- Bogage, Jacob. "Colin Kaepernick continues to haunt NFL after Madden 19 song censorship gaffe". The Washington Post. Retrieved August 20, 2018.
- Lam, Katherine; Fedschun, Travis; Darrah, Nicole (August 26, 2018). "Gunman at Jacksonville Landing gaming event kills 2 before killing himself, investigators say". Fox News. FOX. Retrieved August 26, 2018.
- Kalvapalle, Rahul (August 26, 2018). "Gunman kills 2, fatally shoots himself at video game tournament in Jacksonville, Fl". Global News. Corus Entertainment Inc. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Micolucci, Vic; Purdy, Joy; Calloway, Ethan; Piggott, Jim; Patrick, Steve; Tyler, Roxy (August 26, 2018). "Gunman among 3 dead in mass shooting at Jacksonville Landing". News4Jax. Graham Media Group. Retrieved August 26, 2018.
- Stewart, Emily; Lopez, German. "Shooting at Jacksonville, Florida video game tournament: what we know". Vox.com. Vox Media, Inc. Retrieved 26 August 2018.