Luke Hall (politician)
|Member of Parliament|
for Thornbury and Yate
Assumed office |
8 May 2015
|Preceded by||Steve Webb|
8 July 1986|
Westerleigh, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||University of Bristol|
Luke Hall was born in the village of Westerleigh on the 8 July 1986 and grew up in South Gloucestershire. He worked for the supermarket chain Lidl from the age of 18 and became manager of their Yate store, before going on to become Area Manager for Farmfoods. Hall became an active member of the Conservative Party aged 23 and went on to become Constituency Chairman for the party in South Gloucestershire and Deputy Chairman of the Bristol and South Gloucestershire Conservatives.
Hall was selected as the Conservative candidate for the Thornbury and Yate seat in December 2013 and went on to gain it at the 2015 general election by closely defeating the Liberal Democrat Pensions Minister Steve Webb.
In May 2016, it emerged that Hall was one of a number of Conservative MPs being investigated by police in the United Kingdom general election, 2015 party spending investigation, for allegedly spending more than the legal limit on constituency election campaign expenses. However, in May 2017, the Crown Prosecution Service said that while there was evidence of inaccurate spending returns, it did not "meet the test" for further action.
In Parliament, Hall currently serves on the Petitions Committee, having previously served on the Environmental Audit Select Committee and Work and Pensions Committee.
He was opposed to Brexit prior to the 2016 referendum. Since the result was announced, Hall has continued to support the official position of his party and now advocates leaving the European Union. He has never rebelled against the Government in the current Parliament.
- "No. 61230". The London Gazette. 18 May 2015. p. 9125.
- "Thornbury & Yate parliamentary constituency - Election 2015 - BBC News". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Election results Thornbury and Yate: Steve Webb loses to Tory Luke Hall". Western Daily Press. 8 May 2015.
- "About Luke". Personal website. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "From Lidl to Westminster - former supermarket worker makes a bid for parliament". Gazette. 19 December 2013.
- "Election Expenses Exposed". Channel 4 News. 23 June 2016. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "No charges over 2015 Conservative battle bus cases". BBC. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "MPs Jacob Rees-Mogg and John Penrose are vying against each other to become the Treasury select committee chair". Bristol Post. 29 June 2017.
- "Luke Hall MP". GOV.UK. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "'You've got the wrong girl!' Bristol MP is 'flabbergasted' at appearing on 'hard Brexit' election hit list". Bristol Post. 26 April 2017.
- "They Work For You". GOV.UK. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "Everything you need to know about Luke Hall - Conservative MP for Thornbury and Yate". Bristol Post. 17 May 2017.
- "IPSA record". IPSA. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for Thornbury and Yate