Lotte Verbeek in 2008
24 June 1982|
|Occupation||Actress, dancer, model|
Lotte Verbeek (born 24 June 1982) is a Dutch actress, dancer and model. She is best known for her role as Giulia Farnese in The Borgias television series created by Neil Jordan, and as Geillis Duncan in the Starz series Outlander.
Early life and education
Verbeek was born in Venlo, Netherlands. She was educated at Gymnasium Collegium Marianum in Venlo and graduated in 2008 at the Theaterschool in Amsterdam. From 1999, Verbeek attended the Dance Academy in Arnhem and the Amsterdam Academy of Jazz/Musical Theatre and Dance, where she graduated in 2006. She received singing lessons and attended voice workshops. During her studies, she worked as a dancer and model for photographer Erwin Olaf.
In 2009 she won the Leopard for best actress at the Locarno International Film Festival for her role of Anne in Nothing Personal, a Dutch movie directed by Urszula Antoniak. For the same part she was also the recipient of the best actress award at the International Film Festival of Marrakech 2009 and was nominated as best actress for the Golden Calf at the Netherlands Film Festival.
In 2010 Verbeek received the Shooting Stars Award, the annual acting award for up-and-coming actors by European Film Promotion, at the Berlin International Film Festival. In the same year she was cast in Le Ragazze dello Swing (The Swing Girls), an award-winning Italian mini-series based on the Trio Lescano story. For her main role as Judith Leschan she received a Golden Nymph award for best actress alongside Andrea Osvart and Elise Schaap at Monte-Carlo Television Festival 2011.
From 2011-2013, she played Giulia Farnese in the Showtime period drama The Borgias, alongside Jeremy Irons in the role of Pope Alexander VI. The series was created by Neil Jordan and shot in Budapest.
As a stage actress, Verbeek was in the production of Maria Magdalena by Wayne Traub, which toured Europe in 2009. She sings in the soprano vocal range. However, in Le Ragazze dello Swing, the songs are performed by The Blue Dolls.
|2010||Le Ragazze dello Swing||Judith Leschan||TV mini-series||Rai 1|
|2011–2013||The Borgias||Giulia Farnese||TV series||Showtime|
|2012||Suspension of Disbelief||Therese/Angelique|
|2014–present||Outlander||Geillis Duncan||TV Series||Starz|
|2014||The Fault in Our Stars||Lidewij Vliegenthart|
|2015||The Last Witch Hunter||Helena|
|2016||Agent Carter||Ana Jarvis||TV Series|
|2016||The Blacklist||Katarina Rostova||TV series||NBC|
|2018||Counterpart||Secretary/Mystery woman||TV series||Starz|
|2009||Maria Magdalena||director Van Wayb Traub|
- "Lotte Cast Nothing Personal". nothingpersonalthemovie. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Lotte Verbeek, The Netherlands". Shooting-Stars.eu. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Goldener Leopard von Locarno geht an eine Chinesin". nzz.ch (in German). Neue Zürcher Zeitung. 16 August 2009.
- "62nd Locarno Film Festival" (PDF). pardo.ch. Locarno International Film Festival. p. 2. Retrieved 29 April 2011.
- "Palmares 2009". festivalmarrakech.info. International Film Festival of Marrakech. Archived from the original on 13 March 2012. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- "EFP reveals line-up for 2010 Shooting Stars talent showcase". ScreenDaily.com. December 3, 2009. Retrieved April 2, 2016. (Registration required (. ))
- Cau, Salvatore (15 June 2011). "Le ragazze dello Swing" (in Italian). Davide Maggio. Retrieved 22 November 2011.
- "Giulia Farnese". Showtime. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- Weissberg, Jay (15 November 2012). "Suspension of Disbelief". Variety. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "Blue Dolls Biography". bluedolls.it (in Italian). Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- Verbeek, Lotte [@lotteverbeek1] (October 10, 2014). "First still shot with Vin Diesel on The Last Witch Hunter. So excited!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Amaya, Eric. "NYCC '15: Wynn Everett, Lotte Verbeek And More Join Agent Carter In Season 2". Bleeding Cool. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lotte Verbeek.|