Los Reyes, Veracruz
Mountains in Los Reyes
Location in Veracruz
Location in Mexico
|Coordinates: 18°40′23″N 97°02′44″W / 18.67306°N 97.04556°WCoordinates: 18°40′23″N 97°02′44″W / 18.67306°N 97.04556°W|
|Established||28 March 1831|
|• President||Eclicerio Tequiliquihua Quiahuixtle|
|• Total||33.81 km2 (13.05 sq mi)|
|Elevation (of seat)||1,776 m (5,827 ft)|
|Population (2010 Census)|
|• Estimate (2015 Intercensal Survey)||5,830|
|• Density||160/km2 (420/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Central (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||Central (UTC-5)|
The municipality of Los Reyes is located in the Sierra de Zongolica, which are foothills of the Sierra Madre Oriental in central Veracruz. It lies at an altitude between 1,200 and 2,600 metres (3,900–8,500 ft). It borders the municipalities of Tequila to the north, Zongolica to the east, Texhuacán to the south, Tlaquilpa to the southwest, and Atlahuilco to the west. The municipality covers an area of 33.81 square kilometres (13.05 sq mi) and comprises 0.05% of the state's area.
The land in Los Reyes is mostly either forested (64%) or used as farmland (33%). Luvisols predominate in the municipality. The municipality is located in the Papaloapan River basin. Federal Highway 123 runs through the municipality from northwest to east, forming part of the municipal border between Los Reyes and Atlahuilco.
Los Reyes's climate is generally temperate and humid. Average temperatures in the municipality range between 14 and 20 °C (57–68 °F), and average annual precipitation ranges between 1,900 and 2,600 millimetres (75–102 in).
The original name for the area was Cozcatlán (Nahuatl: "place of jewels"). According to the Historia Tolteca-Chichimeca a group of Nahuatl-speaking Nonoalca known as the Cozcatecah settled in the Cozcatlán area around 1050, which formed part of the historical region of Nonoalco.
On 28 March 1831, a municipality called Los Santos Reyes de Coscatla was incorporated in the area, forming part of the canton of Orizaba in the state of Veracruz. On 4 June 1888 Los Reyes annexed the municipality of Atlanca. Los Reyes became a free municipality on 15 January 1918.
The municipal government comprises a president, a councillor (Spanish: síndico), and a trustee (regidor). The current president of the municipality is Eclicerio Tequiliquihua Quiahuixtle.
In the 2010 Mexican Census, the municipality of Los Reyes recorded a population of 5484 inhabitants living in 1261 households. The 2015 Intercensal Survey estimated a population of 5830 inhabitants in Los Reyes, 98.40% of whom reported being of Indigenous ancestry. In the 2010 Census, 4699 people or 86% of the population in Los Reyes reported speaking an Indigenous language, of which 4478 spoke Nahuatl.
- "Sistema Nacional de Información Municipal" (in Spanish). SEGOB. 2010. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Los Reyes". Enciclopedia de los Municipios y Delegaciones de México (in Spanish). INAFED. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Los Reyes: Datos generales". Cédulas de información municipal (in Spanish). SEDESOL. 2013. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- Panorama sociodemográfico de Veracruz de Ignacio de la Llave 2015 (PDF) (in Spanish). INEGI. 2016. p. 226. ISBN 978-607-739-871-4. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Consulta Códigos Postales". Catálogo Nacional de Códigos Postales. Mexican Postal Service. 23 February 2018. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Compendio de Información Geográfica Municipal 2010: Los Reyes, Veracruz de Ignacio de la Llave" (in Spanish). INEGI. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- Sandoval Arenas, Carlos O. (2017). "Displacement and revitalization of the Nahuatl language in the High Mountains of Veracruz, Mexico". Arts & Humanities in Higher Education. 16 (1): 66–81. doi:10.1177/1474022216628390.
- Estado de Veracruz-Llave. División Territorial de 1810 a 1995 (PDF) (in Spanish). Mexico: INEGI. 1996. pp. 115, 260. ISBN 970-13-1517-0.
- "Portal de Transparencia Ayuntamiento de Los Reyes, Veracruz" (in Spanish). Órgano de Fiscalización Superior del Estado de Veracruz. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Resumen municipal: Municipio de Los Reyes". Catálogo de Localidades (in Spanish). SEDESOL. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Plan Municipal de Desarrollo 2014–2017" (PDF) (in Spanish). Municipal council of Los Reyes, Veracruz. p. 14. Retrieved 28 February 2018.