Los Angeles Times Magazine
Conductor Gustavo Dudamel on the magazine's August 6, 2009 cover.
|Circulation||(as part of Sunday paper)|
|First issue||January 2000|
|Final issue||June 3, 2012|
|Company||Los Angeles Times|
The Los Angeles Times Magazine (also shortened to just LA) was a monthly magazine which supplemented the Sunday edition of the Los Angeles Times newspaper on the first Sunday of the month. The magazine focused on stories and photos of people, places, style, and other cultural affairs occurring in Los Angeles and its surrounding cities and communities. The Los Angeles Times Magazine was the successor to West Magazine, and was published between 2000 and 2012.
From 1967 to 1972, the Los Angeles Times produced a Sunday supplement called West magazine. West was recognized for its art design, which was directed by Mike Salisbury. Covers were illustrated by the likes of Milton Glaser, Robert Grossman, Edward Sorel, John Van Hamersveld, Richard Weigand, and Sailisbury himself. West also published the work of underground cartoonists Victor Moscoso, Robt. Williams, and Gahan Wilson. After Times publisher Otis Chandler shut down the magazine, Salisbury moved on to become art director of Rolling Stone magazine.
Los Angeles Times Magazine
In 2006, the Los Angeles Times announced it was resurrecting West magazine, edited by Rick Wartzman, with writer Amy Tan as the literary editor. West replaced the Los Angeles Times Magazine.
A little more than a year later, in October 2007, West magazine changed its name and format again, returning to the Los Angeles Times Magazine and becoming a monthly. Because of financial losses, the editorial board of the magazine was restructured in 2008.
In 2012, the magazine won a national prize when the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights announced that Times photographer Michael Robinson Chavez won the international photography category for his work "Broken Promise: Gold Mining in Peru's High Andes," published in 2011.
Successor: The California Sunday Magazine
Since 2014, The California Sunday Magazine has been included in the Sunday edition.
- "About Us". Los Angeles Times Magazine. Archived from the original on 25 April 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Heller, Steven. "Go West, Young Art Director," Design Observer (Sept. 23, 2008).
- "West Magazine", EastOfBorneo.org. Accessed July 18, 2018.
- "The Best of SoCal / Los Angeles Times Magazine". Los Angeles Times. 9 January 2000. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "Los Angeles Times to Launch 'West' Magazine Feb. 5," Los Angeles Times (Jan. 12, 2006).
- Strupp, Joe. "'Los Angeles Times' Returns Name To Sunday Magazine," Editor & Publisher (Oct. 12, 2007).
- Richard Pérez-Peña (10 June 2008). "Change of Control at the Los Angeles Times Magazine". New York Times. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Alana Semuels (May 16, 2012), Los Angeles Times to discontinue LA, its Sunday magazine Los Angeles Times