Lonely This Christmas
|"Lonely This Christmas"|
|Single by Mud|
|B-side||"I Can't Stand It"|
|Songwriter(s)||Mike Chapman, Nicky Chinn|
|Producer(s)||Mike Chapman, Nicky Chinn|
|Mud singles chronology|
Written and produced by Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman, "Lonely This Christmas" was Mud's second number one single in the UK, spending four weeks at the top in December 1974 and January 1975. It was the third number one single that year for the ChinniChap writing and production team, and was performed in the style of Elvis Presley's slower songs from his later career.
The song is noted for a performance on Top of the Pops in which guitarist Rob Davis was covered in tinsel and wore Christmas baubles as earrings, while vocalist Les Gray sang to a ventriloquist's dummy.
The song has been covered by Lucky Soul, Miss Vincent, Blue, Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine (as part of a fan club limited edition Xmas 7 inch), Little Man Tate, KT Tunstall, Los Campesinos!, and The Growlers. The song has been used as background music in North American Buick Lacrosse commercials.
Despite several incorrectly-labelled videos on YouTube, Elvis Presley never recorded the song. Those videos tend to be the Mud or James Memphis King versions.
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||1|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||1|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||1|
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. pp. 308–9. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Radio 2's Great British Songbook: Lonely This Christmas". BBC. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 51, 1974" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40 Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Mud – Lonely This Christmas" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "Ultratop.be – Mud – Lonely This Christmas" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 2017-12-31.