List of sovereign states and dependent territories in North America
This is an alphabetical list of sovereign states and dependent territories in North America. This list uses the most inclusive definition of North America, which covers the landmass north of the Panama-Colombia border, and the islands of the Caribbean. North America is the northern continent of the Americas, situated in Earth's Northern Hemisphere and almost totally in the Western Hemisphere. It is bordered on the north by the Arctic Ocean, on the east by the North Atlantic Ocean, on the southeast by the Caribbean Sea, and on the west by the North Pacific Ocean; South America lies to the southeast.
|Flag||English short name||English long name||Domestic short names||Capital||Currency|
|Antigua and Barbuda||Antigua and Barbuda||English: Antigua and Barbuda||St. John's||East Caribbean dollar|
|The Bahamas||Commonwealth of The Bahamas||English: Bahamas||Nassau||Bahamian dollar|
|Barbados||Barbados||English: Barbados||Bridgetown||Barbadian dollar|
|Belize||Belize||English: Belize||Belmopan||Belize dollar|
|Costa Rica||Republic of Costa Rica||Spanish: Costa Rica||San José||Costa Rican colón|
|Cuba||Republic of Cuba||Spanish: Cuba||Havana||Cuban peso, Cuban convertible peso|
|Dominica||Commonwealth of Dominica||English: Dominica||Roseau||East Caribbean dollar|
|Dominican Republic||Dominican Republic||English: Dominican Republic
Spanish: República Dominicana
|Santo Domingo||Dominican Peso|
|El Salvador||Republic of El Salvador||English: El Salvador
Spanish: El Salvador
|San Salvador||United States dollar|
|Grenada||Grenada||English: Grenada||St. George's||East Caribbean dollar|
|Guatemala||Republic of Guatemala||Spanish: Guatemala||Guatemala City||Guatemalan quetzal|
|Haiti||Republic of Haiti||French: Haïti||Port-au-Prince||Haitian gourde|
|Honduras||Republic of Honduras||Spanish: Honduras||Tegucigalpa||Honduran lempira|
|Jamaica||Jamaica||English: Jamaica||Kingston||Jamaican dollar|
|Mexico||United Mexican States||Spanish: México||Mexico City||Mexican Peso|
|Nicaragua||Republic of Nicaragua||Spanish: Nicaragua||Managua||Nicaraguan córdoba|
|Panama||Republic of Panama||English: Panama
|Panama City||Panamanian balboa, United States dollar|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||Federation of Saint Kitts and Nevis
Federation of Saint Christopher and Nevis
|English: Saint Kitts and Nevis||Basseterre||East Caribbean dollar|
|Saint Lucia||Saint Lucia||English: Saint Lucia||Castries||East Caribbean dollar|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||English: Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||Kingstown||East Caribbean dollar|
|Trinidad and Tobago||Republic of Trinidad and Tobago||English: Trinidad and Tobago||Port of Spain||Trinidad and Tobago dollar|
|United States||United States of America||English: United States||Washington, D.C.||United States dollar|
This section contains areas that are not sovereign states, but are not part of the sovereign states listed above. This includes dependent territories and integral areas of a primarily non-North American state.
Dependencies that are not internationally recognized, or not in effect, are listed in italics.
- List of currencies in North America
- List of North American countries by GDP (nominal)
- List of North American countries by GDP (nominal) per capita
- List of North American countries by GDP (PPP)
- List of North American countries by GDP (PPP) per capita
- List of sovereign states and dependent territories in the Americas
- List of sovereign states and dependent territories in South America
- Member of the Caribbean Community. The Caribbean Community also includes Guyana and Suriname.
- Member of the Central American Integration System.
- Member of the North American Free Trade Agreement.
- Certain U.S. government documents list these as unorganized, unincorporated territories of the United States. For the most part, however, they are under Colombia administration as an integral part of Colombia, part of the San Andrés department. They are also claimed by Nicaragua, and in part by Jamaica and Honduras.
- Claimed by Haiti.
- Part of the Netherlands.
- Part of France.
- Part of Colombia.