List of professional sports leagues
This is a list of professional sports leagues.
A sports league is a professional body that governs the competition of its teams. They make the rules for competition and behavior and disciplines its members as necessary. This is done through a structure that varies by league. Some are made up of a board of governors that have a commissioner or president, while others are single entity organizations where the league owns the franchises and therefore does not have a board of governors.
This list attempts to show those sports leagues for which all players and teams are paid to play. In other words, these players can be considered to play their chosen sport as their profession. Some leagues don't pay well enough to allow players to use them as their primary or only source of income, but because the players are paid, it's still considered professional, or semi-professional. As such, some leagues listed here may not be fully professional.
- Arena Racing USA
- American Hot Rod Association
- American Le Mans Series
- Asian Le Mans Series
- British Touring Car Championship
- Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters (German Touring Car Masters)
- D1 Grand Prix
- European Le Mans Series
- Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA)
- Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM)
- Formula One
- Formula D
- Fórmula Truck
- Blancpain GT Series Sprint Cup
- Grand-Am Road Racing
- International Hot Rod Association (IHRA)
- NASCAR (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing)
- National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)
- Pirelli World Challenge
- Stock Car Brasil
- Super GT
- TC 2000 Championship
- Top Race V6
- Turismo Carretera
- Supercars Championship (Australia)
- FIA World Endurance Championship
- World Rally Championship (WRC)
- World Touring Car Championship
- Major League Baseball:
- Minor League Baseball:
- AAA: IL – International League
- AAA: PCL – Pacific Coast League
- AA: EL – Eastern League
- AA: SL – Southern League
- AA: TL – Texas League
- A+: CalL – California League
- A+: CarL – Carolina League
- A+: FSL – Florida State League
- A: MwL – Midwest League
- A: SAL – South Atlantic League
- SSA: NYPL – New York–Penn League
- SSA: NwL – Northwest League
- R+: ApL – Appalachian League
- R+: PL – Pioneer League
- R: AzL – Arizona League
- R: GCL – Gulf Coast League
- Independent baseball:
- Little League Baseball
- Junior, Senior & Big League Baseball
China: Republic of China (Taiwan): South Korea: Japan:
- Major: Honkbal Hoofdklasse (relegation to Honkbal Overgangklasse)
- 1. A SKL – known for sponsorship reasons as Liga Telemach (Slovenia)
- 3x3 Pro Basketball League (India)
- A-1 Liga (Croatia)
- ACB – Liga ACB (Spain, men's first level)
- ABL – ASEAN Basketball League (ASEAN countries)
- Basketball Championship of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- BIG3 (United States)
- BLB – Basketball League Belgium
- BLK – Basket Liga Kobiet (women's first level in Poland)
- BLNO (Norway)
- BSN – Baloncesto Superior Nacional (Puerto Rico)
- CB – Canada Basketball (Canada)
- CBA – Chinese Basketball Association
- DBL – Dutch Basketball League
- EuroLeague – Pan-European competition for elite clubs
- EuroCup – known as the ULEB Cup from 2002–2008. Is the second-tier transnational professional basketball competition in Europe.
- EuroChallenge – is the top Men's Basketball competition directly run by FIBA Europe. The competition was created in 2003 following the defection of several top European basketball teams from the former European Champions' Cup which heralded the formation of the Euroleague under the umbrella of Euroleague Basketball.
- Greek Basket League (Greece, first level)
- Greek A2 Basket League (Greece, second level)
- IBL – International Basketball League
- ISL – Iranian Basketball Super League (Iran)
- KBL – Korean Basketball League (South Korea)
- Korisliiga (Finland)
- KLS – Basketball League of Serbia
- LBL – Latvijas Basketbola līga
- LEB – Liga Española de Baloncesto (Spain, men's second level)
- Lega Basket Serie A (Italy, first level)
- LFB – Liga Femenina de Baloncesto (Spain, women's first level)
- Israeli Basketball Premier League (Israel)
- LKL – Lietuvos krepšinio lyga (Lithuania)
- LNBP – Liga Nacional de Baloncesto Profesional (Mexico)
- NBA – National Basketball Association (United States & Canada)
- NBA G League
- NBB – Novo Basquete Brasil
- Montenegrin Basketball League (Montenegro)
- PBA – Philippine Basketball Association (Philippines)
- PLK – Polska Liga Koszykówki (men's first level in Poland)
- Russian Basketball Super League 1 (men's second level)
- SBL – Super Basketball League (Taiwan)
- Serie A2 Basket (Italy, second level)
- TBL – Thailand Basketball League (Thailand)
- TBSL – Turkish Basketball Super League
- TKBL – Türkiye 1. Kadınlar Basketbol Ligi, or Turkish Women's Basketball League in English
- TPBL – Texas Pro Basketball League
- UBA Pro Basketball League (India)
- USBL – United States Basketball League
- VTB United League – Russia, the Baltics, Finland, Poland, and Ukraine.
- WBA – World Basketball Association
- WBA/WABA – Women's American Basketball Association
- WKBL – Women's Korean Basketball League (South Korea)
- WNBA – Women's National Basketball Association
- WNBL – Women's National Basketball League (Australia)
- Hong Kong Basketball League, All-Hong Kong Youth Basketball League
Major sanctioning bodies
- World Boxing Association (WBA)
- World Boxing Council (WBC)
- International Boxing Federation (IBF)
- World Boxing Organization (WBO)
- The Ring magazine (unofficial sanctioning body)
- Super Boxing League
- STAR Boxing Panch
- International Cycling League
- Pro Cycle Cycling
Gridiron football: American football & Canadian football
- National Football League
- Alliance of American Football
Football: Association football
Football: Australian rules football
- PGA Tour (United States)
- PGA European Tour
- Japan Golf Tour
- Asian Tour (Asia outside Japan)
- PGA Tour of Australasia (Australia and New Zealand)
- Sunshine Tour (southern Africa, mainly South Africa)
- OneAsia Tour (joint venture between the Japan, Australasia, China, and Korean tours)
- Professional Golf Tour of India
- Web.com Tour (second-tier US tour, operated by the PGA Tour)
- Challenge Tour (second-tier European tour)
- Japan Challenge Tour (second-tier Japanese tour)
- PGA Tour Canada (feeds to the Web.com Tour)
- PGA Tour China (feeds to the Web.com Tour)
- PGA Tour Latinoamérica (feeds to the Web.com Tour)
- Satellite Tour, a group of four third-level tours recognised by the European Tour:
- Alps Tour (jointly sanctioned by the golf associations of Austria, France, Italy, Morocco and Switzerland)
- Pro Golf Tour (based in Germany)
- Nordic Golf League (operating in the Nordic countries)
- Swedish Golf Tour (men's version is a Swedish tour included in the Nordic League competition)
- PGA EuroPro Tour (based in the UK)
- Gateway Tour (third-tier US tour)
- Fuzion Minor League Golf Tour (low cost fourth-tier US tour)
- Swing Thought Tour (third-tier US tour)
- Legends Tour (United States)
- Symetra Tour (second-tier US tour, operated by the LPGA)
- Ladies European Tour Access Series, LETAS, the official feeder tour to the Ladies European Tour, has been formed to give players not part of a major tour an opportunity to compete and progress on to the Ladies European Tour.
- Step Up Tour (second-tier Japanese tour, operated by the LPGA of Japan)
- Swedish Golf Tour (women's version is a second-tier tour in Sweden, feeding to the Ladies European Tour)
- Kontinental Hockey League (major)
- Kabaddi World Cup
- Kabaddi Masters Series
- World Kabaddi League (
India, United States, United Kingdom, Canada, South Korea, Australia, Iran, Nepal, Bhutan,
India: Super Fight League United States: Ultimate Fighting Championship (Premier American/International Organization) United States: Bellator MMA (Second Tier American Organization) United States: Professional Fighters League (Minor American Organization) United States: King of the Cage (Minor American Organization) United States: Shark Fights (Minor American Organization) United States: Titan Fighting Championships (Minor American Organization) United States: Tachi Palace Fights (Minor American Organization) United States: Invicta Fighting Championships (Minor American Organization) Japan: DREAM (Premier Japanese Organization) Japan: Shooto (Second Tier Japanese Organization) Japan: Pancrase (Minor Japanese Organization) Japan: DEEP (Minor Japanese Organization) Japan: ZST (Minor Japanese Organization) Japan: RisingOn (Minor Japanese Organization) South Korea: ROAD Fighting Championship (Premier Korean Organization) South Korea: TOP Fighting Championship (Second Tier Korean Organization) Brazil: Jungle Fight (Premier Brazilian Organization) Russia: M-1 Global (Premier Russian-based Organization) Canada: Maximum Fighting Championship (Premier Canadian Organization) England: BAMMA (Premier English Organization) Netherlands: United Glory (Premier Dutch Organization) Poland: Konfrontacja Sztuk Walki (Premier Polish Organization) Finland: Finnfight (Premier Finish Organization) China: Art of War Fighting Championship (Premier Chinese Organization) Singapore: ONE Championship (Premier Singaporean Organization) Hong Kong: Legend Fighting Championship (Premier Hong Konger Organization) Philippines: Universal Reality Combat Championship (Premier Filipino Organization)
- Roll Ball One
- Pro Roll Ball One
- Roll Ball League
- National Rugby League (also includes New Zealand Warriors)
- Queensland Cup
- Intrust Super Premiership NSW
- Ron Massey Cup
- Super League (also includes Catalans Dragons in France)
- Championship (also includes Toulouse Olympique in France)
- Indo Rugby League Championship
- League One Staz
- League 1 (also includes North Wales Crusaders, South Wales Scorpions, and Toronto Wolfpack)
- USA Rugby League (USARL)
- Pro14 (since 2010–11)
- Top12 (effectively second tier since 2010–11, but not linked to Pro14) (semi-professional)
- Rugby Premier League (semi professional)
China Table Tennis Super League Ultimate Table Tennis
- Association of Tennis Professionals
- International Tennis Federation
- United States Tennis Association
- Women's Tennis Association
- World TeamTennis
- International Premier Tennis League (India, Japan, UAE, Singapore)
Video gaming/Electronic sports
- League of Legends Pro League (top level)
- League of Legends Master Series (top level)
- Garena Premier League (second level)
Association of Volleyball Professionals (AVP) (beach volleyball) Chinese Volleyball League (CVL) (both men and women) Enterprise Volleyball League (TVL) (both men and women) A1 Ethniki Volleyball (men) Iranian Volleyball Super League (men) Lega Pallavolo Serie A (men) Lega Pallavolo Serie A Femminile (women) Male Superior Volleyball League (men) Female Superior Volleyball League (women) Dominican Republic Volleyball League (both men and women) V.League (both men and women) V-League (both men and women) Men's Volleyball Thailand League (men) Pro A (men) Russian Volleyball Super League (men) Brazilian Men's Volleyball Superliga (both men and women) PlusLiga (men) Orlen Liga (women) Turkish Volleyball League (both men and women)
- United States
- WWE (also known as World Wrestling Entertainment)
- Impact Wrestling (formerly Total Nonstop Action Wrestling and Global Force Wrestling)
- List of professional sports leagues in Asia
- List of defunct professional sports leagues
- List of developmental and minor sports leagues
- Major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada
- List of professional sports teams in the United States and Canada
- List of American and Canadian cities by number of major professional sports franchises
- National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
- List of sports
- List of sports attendance figures
- List of professional sports leagues by revenue
- Archived 28 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "ASEAN Basketball Homepage". Aseanbasketballleague.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Turkish Airlines EuroLeague - Welcome to EUROLEAGUE BASKETBALL". Euroleague.net. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- Archived 6 April 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- "NBA.com". NBA.com. 2017-06-15. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Home - NBA G League". Nbdl.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Liga Nacional de Basquete". Lnb.com.br. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "The Official Website". Pba.com.ph. 2017-06-19. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "freeSOFT usbl.com". Archived from the original on 9 February 2016.
- "Let's play Basketball!!". Wkbl.or.kr. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Official Site of the WNBA". WNBA.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Women's National Basket League Homepage". Wnbl.com.au. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Super Boxing League to be organised in association with WBC, PBOI". India.com. 2017-06-05. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Official Site of the National Football League". NFL.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- Gartland, Dan. "8-team XFL competitor plans to launch in February 2019". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved March 21, 2018.
- "Source: WWE's McMahon eyes football league". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2018-01-25.
- Merk, Carson A. "Arena Football Home Page". Arenafootball.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- Archived 1996-11-22 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Xリーグ 公式サイト". Xleague.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "AMERICAN FOOTBALL IN INDIA: ELITE FOOTBALL LEAGUE OF INDIA". Bleacher Report.
- Brown, Wendy (17 July 2012). "Soldiers share football skills with German semi-pro team". United States Army. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- Weinfuss, Josh (November 17, 2016). "From youth to pro, American football has taken root in Mexico". ESPN.com. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
The Liga de Futbol Americano Profesional, based in Mexico City, concluded its first season in April, and reports said attendance exceeded 5,000 fans per game for the inaugural four-team campaign.
- "The official website of the Australian Football League". AFL.com.au. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 18 May 2013. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "LET Access Series - Home Page". Letaccess.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Münchner Leukämie Labor". Mll.comm.
- League, Super Fight. "Enter Super Fight League - Experience Top MMA Fights". Superfightleague.com.
- "Road Fc". Roadfc.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 28 December 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Maharashtra win inaugural edition of India's Softball League | Business Standard News". Business-standard.com. 2016-06-20. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Ultimate Table Tennis raises hope for paddlers". The Indian Express. 2017-06-10. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 December 2014. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "India is getting its first major esports league". The Next Web.
- "News, Results, Photos & Video - Official Site". WWE. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Total Nonstop Action Wrestling Homepage". Impactwrestling.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.