List of South American countries by population
This is a list of the countries of South American countries and dependent territories by population, which is sorted by the 2018 mid-year normalized demographic projections.
(or dependent territory)
|June 30, 2018|
|1||209,100,000||49.36||0.86||1,750,000||81||209,690,000||August 24, 2018||Official population clock|
|2||49,755,000||11.64||1.16||555,000||60||49,887,000||August 24, 2018||Official population clock|
|3||44,100,000||10.41||1.09||463,000||64||43,590,368||July 1, 2016||Official estimate|
|4||32,657,800||7.52||1.10||338,000||64||31,488,625||June 30, 2016||Official estimate|
|7||16,279,000||3.93||1.57||252,000||44||17,083,400||August 24, 2018||Official population clock|
|10||3,310,000||0.80||0.18||6,000||382||3,480,222||June 30, 2016||Official estimate|
|11||747,000||0.18||0.00||0||-||747,884||September 15, 2012||Preliminary 2012 census result|
|12||560,000||0.14||1.08||6,000||64||541,638||August 13, 2012||Final 2012 census result|
|13||262,000||0.06||2.75||7,000||26||239,648||January 1, 2012||Official estimate|
|14||3,000||0.00||0.00||0||-||2,563||April 15, 2012||Final 2012 census result|
- Calculated, when available, from the latest national censuses or most recent official estimates (many of which are cited in their respective column), using the exponential formula shown on the List of countries by past and future population article. This is done to normalize the different populations to a unique date, so that they are really comparable.
- It corresponds to the following formula: projection2015/projection2014x100-100.
- It corresponds to the calculation: projection2015*annual_growth/100.
- It corresponds to the formula: LN(2)/LN(growth/100+1), which produces exactly the same result as LOG10(2)/LOG10(growth/100+1).
- Islands claimed by Argentina. Possessed by the British from 5 January 1833, it was briefly captured by the Argentinian forces during the Falklands War (April 2-June 14, 1982)