List of ''Los Angeles Times'' publishers
The publisher of the Los Angeles Times is Ross Levinsohn, who was appointed to the position in August of 2017 following the firing of former publisher Davan Maharaj. The publisher is typically a newspaper's top executive, similar in function to the job of corporate chief executive officer. Sometimes, though, a newspaper's publisher is a corporation or a company, and that was the case for decades with the Times, which listed its "publisher" as the Times-Mirror Company. The person responsible for operating the newspaper was officially called the president and general manager, but he was casually referred to as the publisher.
The official list of past publishers offered by the Times in both print and electronic versions begins with Harrison Gray Otis in 1882, but Otis never held that title officially. Indeed, he was not even the first executive to guide the newspaper.
None of these people used the title of publisher.
Harrison Gray Otis
- Harrison Gray Otis (1882–1917), president and general manager
Access to some of these links may require the use of a library card.
- "Gen. Harrison Gray Otis Is Suddenly Called by Death". Los Angeles Times. 1917-07-31. Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- "The Memorial". Los Angeles Times. 1896-02-18. Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- "L.A. Times Masthead". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- "Former publishers". LA Times. 2016-03-02. Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- "Highlights Along the Way". Los Angeles Times. 1956-01-03. Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- "Fourteen Years of Progress". Los Angeles Times. 1895-12-04. Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- "Miss Katherine Yarnell, Southland Pioneer, Dies". Los Angeles Times. 1948-02-17. Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- "Notice to the Public". Los Angeles Times. 1881-12-11. Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- Stuart Silverstein and Jeff Leeds (1999-06-04). "Downing is Named Publisher of The Times". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2016-08-08.