List of European Parliament by-elections in the United Kingdom
By-elections to the European Parliament in the United Kingdom were held during the period when the United Kingdom used single-member, first-past-the-post constituencies to elect Members of the European Parliament from 1979 to 1999: they were required when a member resigned, died or was disqualified. Six by-elections were held in this period, all retained by the holding party.
|By-election||Date||Incumbent||Party||Winner||Party||Cause||Retained at next election|
|London South West||20 September 1979||Shelagh Roberts||Conservative||Shelagh Roberts||Conservative||Disqualification||Yes|
|Midlands West||5 March 1987||Terry Pitt||Labour||John Bird||Labour||Death||Yes|
|Hampshire Central||15 December 1988||Basil de Ferranti||Conservative||Edward Kellett-Bowman||Conservative||Death||Yes|
|Merseyside West||12 December 1996||Kenneth Stewart||Labour||Richard Corbett||Labour||Death||Yes|
|Yorkshire South||7 May 1998||Norman West||Labour||Linda McAvan||Labour||Resignation||N/A|
|North East Scotland||26 November 1998||Allan Macartney||SNP||Ian Hudghton||SNP||Death||N/A|
- United Kingdom Parliamentary Election results 1979-1999: London
- United Kingdom Parliamentary Election results 1979-1999: England: Part 2
- United Kingdom Parliamentary Election results 1979-1999: England: Part 1
- Grice, Andrew (28 November 1998). "Politics: Euro Election: Woofie factor sees off Labour in Scots poll". The Independent. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- United Kingdom Parliamentary Election results 1979-1999: Scotland