Lippincott (brand consultancy)
|Founded||New York City, 1943|
|Headquarters||New York City|
|Rick Wise, CEO|
|Parent||Oliver Wyman Group|
Lippincott was founded in 1943 as Dohner & Lippincott by Donald R. Dohner and J. Gordon Lippincott, who taught together at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY. After Dohner's sudden death in December of that year, the name was changed to J. Gordon Lippincott & Associates. In the late 1940s, Lippincott joined forces with Walter P. Margulies, and the firm was renamed Lippincott & Margulies.
The company's early design work included the Campbell Soup Company's red-and-white can, the FTD Mercury logo, the Betty Crocker spoon, the G on General Mills products, and adaptations of the Coca-Cola logo. In 1947, automobile designer Preston Tucker hired J. Gordon Lippincott & Associates to replace automotive designer Alex Tremulis in the body development of the 1948 Tucker Sedan. The Lippincott team designed a new front end and modified the rear end of the car to match the side panels and roof previously developed by Tremulis.
From 2003 to 2007, the firm was known as Lippincott Mercer.
- Kaufman, Michael T. (1998-05-07). "J. Gordon Lippincott, 89, Dies; Pioneer Design Consultant". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-03-14.