Kosovan–Portuguese relations are foreign relations between Kosovo[a] and Portugal. Kosovo declared its independence from Serbia on 17 February 2008 and Portugal recognised it on 7 October 2008. Kosovo has formally announced its decision to open an embassy in Lisbon.
When NATO intervened in the Kosovo War, Portugal prepared to assist if needed in the 1999 NATO bombing of Yugoslavia Portugal provided troops as part of NATO peacekeeping efforts in Kosovo. After the end of hostilities, Portugal proposed a stabilisation programme for the Preševo Valley in Serbia just north of Kosovo. Despite reported pressure from Russia, Portugal recognised Kosovo's independence from Serbia in October 2008.
Notes and references
|a.||^ Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Kosovo and the Republic of Serbia. The Republic of Kosovo unilaterally declared independence on 17 February 2008, but Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. The two governments began to normalise relations in 2013, as part of the Brussels Agreement. Kosovo has received formal recognition as an independent state from 113 out of 193 United Nations member states.|
- "Comunicado de Imprensa - Kosovo" (in Portuguese). Ministério dos Negócios Estrangeriros. 2008-10-07. Archived from the original on 21 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "Anunciou Luís Amado: Portugal reconhece hoje independência do Kosovo". Publico (in Portuguese). Lisbon: Publico. 2008-10-07. Archived from the original on 22 January 2009. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "Portugal recognises independent Kosovo" newkosovareport.com 7 October 2008 Link accessed 07/10/08
- "Diplomatic Missions of Kosovo Abroad (Albanian)" Archived 7 February 2009 at the Wayback Machine. Kosovan Ministry of Foreign Affairs Link accessed 01/10/09
- "Portugal puts planes on alert for NATO strikes on Serbia". Radio Renascenca, Lisbon. January 20, 1999. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "NATO-member Portugal wants to withdraw troops from Kosovo". International Action Center (New York). Oct 24, 2000. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "Portugal to propose mini stabilization programme for Presevo Valley, Serbia". Diario de Noticias, Lisbon. February 22, 2001. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "Russia pressuring Portugal not to recognize Kosovo". New Kosova Report. 3 October 2008. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "Portugal reconhece hoje independência do Kosovo". PÚBLICO Comunicação Social SA. 2008-10-07. Archived from the original on 2009-01-22. Retrieved 2015-07-05.
- "Kosovo Force (KFOR)" www.nato.int Link accessed 21-07-09