March 1, 1988 (first time)|
April 4, 2011 (second time)
September 1, 2003 (first time)|
November 1, 2013 (second time)
|Owned by||Viacom International Media Networks Northern Europe|
|Picture format||16:9 576i (SDTV)|
|Audience share||0.2% (2012, )|
|Replaced||TMF Nederland (1995-2011)|
|Replaced by||Comedy Central going 24 Hours|
Kindernet was a Dutch language television channel aimed at children and has been part of Nickelodeon's line-up of channels in the Netherlands and Flanders. Since its rebrand in 2011, the channel timeshared with Comedy Central, replacing TMF in its slot.
In the 70s Kindernet began as an idea by Dennis Livson, a Finnish producer and distributor of cartoon programmes. He believed that, at the time, children's programmes made for television were too violent for young children. He therefore started a channel with so called "violence-free" cartoons. The channel eventually launched through satellite (Intelsat V 27.5 degrees West) and some cable networks on 1 March 1988. It was founded and owned by Livson's production company Telecable Benelux B.V. with financing by British retailer W H Smith and Japanese company Fuji Eight. Because in those days, commercial television wasn't allowed by Dutch law, the Dutch channel was broadcast via Luxembourg and London, and is considered to be the very first commercial television channel in the Netherlands.
From 1988 till 2003 Kindernet aired between 7 AM and 10 AM, time-sharing with other channels like the Flemish BRT. In 1995 the director of Kindernet started VTV, aiming at the female audience. Both channels time-shared but VTV wasn't a success. Later Kindernet time-shared with Discovery Channel and from 2000 till 2002 with Net 5.
On 4 April 2011 MTV re-launched Kindernet. It took over the TMF slot and from then on time-sharing with Comedy Central. On 1 October 2012 it had to decrease its airtime in favor of Comedy Central. It used to broadcast between 6 AM en 3 PM, later to be reduced to between 6 AM and 9 AM. Kindernet closed on 1 November 2013 making Comedy Central a 24 hours channel, however, Nickelodeon still broadcasts as a separate channel.
Most of Kindernet's programming consisted of the series produced before the 2000s, although it also had recent productions like My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic in its line-up.
|2011||Vicky the Viking|
|2011||Maya the Bee (classic series)|
|2011||Alfred J. Kwak|
|2011||Wizzy en Woppy|
|2011||Samson en Gert|
|2011||Big & Betsy|
|2011||The World of David the Gnome|
|2011||The Wonderful Adventures of Nils|
|2011||Arabian Nights: Sinbad's Adventures|
|2011||My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic|
|2011||The Adventures of Tintin|
- "Jaarrapport 2012" (PDF). Stichting Kijk Onderzoek.
- "KinderNet". Beeld en Geluid wiki. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Wat is er gebeurd met Kindernet ?". Jeugdnostalgie. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "MTV neemt Kindernet over". Radio.nl. 17 October 2001.
- "Kindernet/Veronica vanaf 1 september landelijk te ontvangen via de satellietschotel". Radio.nl. 25 July 2002.
- "Samenwerking Nickelodeon (Kindernet) en Veronica stopt per 1 september 2003". Kabelraden.nl. 6 May 2003. Archived from the original on 4 October 2015.
- "Kindernet keert terug op tv met Maja de Bij". Het Parool. 8 March 2011.
- Jarco Kriek (16 August 2012). "Kindernet moet zendtijd aan Comedy Central inleveren". Totaal TV.
- Jarco Kriek (2 October 2013). "Comedy Central 24 uur per dag". Totaal TV.